• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

removing inletting black

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aragorn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What's the best way of removing inletting black from a finished barrel channel? I'm using the stuff from ToW.

I don't want to scrape it out now, especially from the sides, as I've got a really good fit and don't want to loosen it.

What about alcohol wipes? Or water? Or would these just mess it up more and swell the wood?

Thanks!

A little light sandpaper will do the trick. Remember that the finish will close the gap you have now, so don't discount the finish thickness in the final equation. Then again, its in the barrel channel so who will know??
Black Hand

To late now, but on your next project, don't use inletting black. Try a regular (not erasable) Marks-A-Lot black felt tip pen, no muss, no fuss, it will put a smile on your face. If walnut, use red pen.

Don't worry about it. All the stuff that will be seen is on the outside and it will be gone by the time you are finished sanding, scraping or however you decide to finish the stock.
Anything you try to do to remove it may cause more harm than good to your wood. Alcohol doesn't work well, neither does fingernail polish remover. Anything stronger I'm afraid to try.
The problem with sanding is you will have to remove wood to get it out.
Its only glaring out at you because the mortices are empty. Once you have the barrel, lock, etc. in place and the stock sanded down and the stain and finish applied, you will forget that inletting black is even there.

Thanks everyone. I guess having spent so many hours slaving over that channel and tang inlet I forgot the barrel will conceal it all. Good point also about the finish, which might allow me to remove some of the black without worrying so much about the fit now. Also alcohol - I book I had recommended it and I nearly got some, but felt a little uncertain about this and won't use it now.

The black is messy stuff. It's a pig to get out of clothes. Luckily it's about 95 degrees here so I haven't got many on!

Inletting black in your clothes?

How much black are you using? If you use the greasy stuff, have a bit of cloth dampened with it (not loaded), and occasionally wipe the barrel after a try or two. If the stock is maple, you need so very little.

Good luck!

i use a oil lamp to blacken my parts....when i'm done inletting fer the time being i just wipe it down with an old wash cloth....then just wash my hands and no greasy stuff to contend with..............bob

294320.jpg

I used isopropal (spelling ?) alchohol. Hold the stock vertical, muzzle down. Pour alcohol from the top and scrub with toothbrush. The inlet black will coagulate and roll off. Dont' be cheap and try to recycle the alcohol. All you will do is redistribute the coagulated inlet black, back to your stock. You may have to do this a couple of times.

I quit using the inletting black. WAY too messy. I needed a body-bib. I went to using candle soot. Cleans up with denatured alchohol.

OK. Next time I'll just use that candle, and now I know a couple of ways of getting it off. Thanks everyone!

Bob, that stock and barrel in your picture looks mighty like mine at the moment, except mine looks like it's just been pulled out of a coalface. I'm just about screw down the tang with a temporary wood screw (I left my tang unshaped, with the full flare) and get on with those barrel pins. Judging by how long its taken so far it shouldn't take me more than a couple of months for each pin ... labor of love

I've got an 1850's fullstock that shows the soot used for inletting in the barrel channel and lock mortise, I for one would just leave it. In an age of machine inletted arms it is refreshing to see something done by hand. However, I don't use inletting black anymore, I much prefer a light coat of oil which shows up well enough in the maple that I use and doesn't make a huge mess.

I use candle soot. Get the candles that are about 3/4" in diameter, straight, not tapered.

Alex, if the oil soaks through, won't that effect the finish?

Back