• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Regulating Enfield sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they fixed sights or adjustable? If the rear site isn't adjustable, then the hitting low issue can be fixed by filing down the front sight. If the front sight is a dovetail, then the hitting left issue can be adjusted by tapping the front sight to the left.
To zero, always "follow your bullet" when adjusting the front sight. Shooting left, move the sight left. Shooting low, move the sight down.
The rear sight is the opposite. If your rear sight is adjustable, then you would move it up to cure your hitting low issue, and move it right to cure the hitting left issue.

I just read up on it, sounds like special tools need to be purchased to adjust them. It also looks like there are different kinds, the folks on here that are familiar with them will need to know what you have, such as is it a No.4 MK1?

24 inch barrel, shoots low and left. Best way to fix the sights?

Does your musketoon have an adjustable rear sight as shown in the following link?
http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=EN85

Also, at what range distance or distances are you shooting?. This is important because less than 100 yards you probably won't put the sight ladder up, but at 100 yards or more you will be.

Gus

Does your musketoon have an adjustable rear sight as shown in the following link?
http://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=EN85

Also, at what range distance or distances are you shooting?. This is important because less than 100 yards you probably won't put the sight ladder up, but at 100 yards or more you will be.

Gus
It does have the rear sight that is adjustable for elevation but I am using it with the blade folded down. I know that I can raise the rear sight. I may even just put shims under it with the blade folded down to zero it at 50 yds. My main concern is the lack of windage adjustment.

OK, sorry to say there was no windage adjustment "feature" on these rifles. What most NSSA Target Shooters do is get their most accurate load down pat, then cut the V notch wider to "move" the groups into the center of the bullseye. IOW, if the groups are hitting to the left of center, you need to file the V notch wider towards the right. Might even require welding up the original V notch and hand cutting a new one where the accuracy groups need to be moved.

Gus

JB weld a piece of hack saw blade to the back of the rear sight. File a itty bitty sighting notch slightly to the right of the original notch. Open the notch as you're shooting to your liking.

Bob

Have a skilled gunsmith install a dovetail front sight in whatever configuration you want , S&S firearms sells period looking dovetail front sights.....drift it to hit dead on, problem solved. Should be an easy job for any Smith worth their salt.

Have a skilled gunsmith install a dovetail front sight in whatever configuration you want , S&S firearms sells period looking dovetail front sights.....drift it to hit dead on, problem solved. Should be an easy job for any Smith worth their salt.

IF it's a Musketoon, then there is not enough 'meat' on the muzzle to fit a dovetail foresight.

24 inch barrel, shoots low and left. Best way to fix the sights?

My musketoon shot high left at 50 yards. I discovered holding a "fine bead" brought it down to POA at 50.
I took JB weld and covered the rear notch, after lightly marking the center of existing notch. A few shots showed me where to make the new notch.
Now a Fine Bead hits POA at 50, full bead 2" high at 75 yards, dead on at 100.
That's with a 500 gr minie, 60grs FFFg.
I couldn't get my musketoon to group worth a damn with PRBs. I get 3 MOA with this load.

BTW, no one has noticed the altered rear sight until I point it out.

I removed the moving parts of my rear sight and made a replacement after some basic calculations were made as to what was required of the replacement.
Have you experimented with charge weights for windage?
sightmusk002.jpg

Brit, I didn't notice any difference in windage from 40-60 grains fffg. I did notice a change in elevation, like a handgun, the heavier charge hit lower, slower loads hit higher. I suspect more time in the barrel, just as in handguns.
60 grains! You running out of powder brother?

60 grains! You running out of powder brother?

LOL, not at all Brit, but my 500 grain minies turn into a pattern much over 70 grains fffg. My 60gr fffg has consistently grouped a shade under 3 moa. Last summer it put three minies touching at 50 yards.

I've thought of adding 10% wheelweight and see if I can push them a little faster, get a decent group, and still load them. A friend gave me a can of minies cast from all WW's and you can't drive them down the bore.

I know its a mild load, running around 1000fps, but it shot thru the biggest buck I've ever shot and left an exit wound that would make some people sick. He went about 30 yards and piled up, as dead as Hiram.

Back