• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

REGARDING 1862 5-SHOT POLICE MODELS?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought mine with a 6.5 inch barrel used and it was ill fit up from the factory needing some ratchet filing to function on all chambers.
I fit a second cylinder to it and that also needed some ratchet filing along with some nipple well reduction clearance on two of the cylinders. I think the geometry of five chambers on a ratchet star works less smoothly than does a six chamber gun. Apparently a pentagon shape in rotation is not as easily made operationally smooth as a hexagon in rotation.
It’s not the pentagon shape, it’s the different angle of the ratchet tooth relative to the hand; the five-shot starts “flatter”, requiring more force to move the cylinder.

Did I explain that well?

It’s not the pentagon shape, it’s the different angle of the ratchet tooth relative to the hand; the five-shot starts “flatter”, requiring more force to move the cylinder.

Did I explain that well?
I understand that having repaired a couple but the shape of five sides (ratchet teeth) causes leverage reduction of the hand, as opposed to six sides (ratchet teeth) of hand contact. More ratchet teeth more leverage, less travel. Same is true of any gear ratio.
Hence six teeth in a star moving less with more power behind them will be generally more smooth of operation than will be a five tooth ratchet star especially when fouling accumulates.

I understand that having repaired a couple but the shape of five sides (ratchet teeth) causes leverage reduction of the hand, as opposed to six sides (ratchet teeth) of hand contact. More ratchet teeth more leverage, less travel. Same is true of any gear ratio.
Hence six teeth in a star moving less with more power behind them will be generally more smooth of operation than will be a five tooth ratchet star especially when fouling accumulates.
Not really.

Gear ratios are relevant because of the gear diameter, not teeth count, doesn’t really apply here unless you can compare the distance of the hand from the centerline of the cylinder.

If a ratchet tooth is at 90 degrees to the hand (horizontal) it will require more effort to move it than if it is at, say, 100 degrees (angled upwards).

Does that help?

You know that feeling you get when you have placed your sights on a Target, and then a dozen other squirrels pop their heads out?
Well there is 4 Second gen 1862 around $600.00
2 Uberti1862's and about 2 or 3 odd balls one on GB.

And theN there is DGW and Taylor.
With the closest match to my target being a 5.5" Uberti for $435 on DGW.

All this is just my way of exorcising my demons.
I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED.
Well I pulled a good one. Any guesses?
Bid on 2 different Colt 2nd Gen's :doh:and won Both.
I feel like such a newb.
SO much for exorcising my demons.

Not really.

Gear ratios are relevant because of the gear diameter, not teeth count, doesn’t really apply here unless you can compare the distance of the hand from the centerline of the cylinder.

If a ratchet tooth is at 90 degrees to the hand (horizontal) it will require more effort to move it than if it is at, say, 100 degrees (angled upwards).

Does that help?
True, but the leverage of a hand on a smaller diameter star (five shot cylinder in the 62) is going to be less (closer to axis center) than on a six shot cylinder ( larger diameter star) farther away from axis center. Smaller diameter hand contact (lever) closer to axis equals less leverage.
If the distance/cylinder/ ratchet star diameter were the same from axis center to hand contact ( the lever) it takes less work to move the same leverage advantage a lesser amount. This gets us back to the pentagon shape being less efficient to do the same work as the hexagon shape or five tooth ratchet as opposed to six tooth ratchet.
Good discussion !

Last edited:
Views of an avid shooter, antique arms collector & retired gunsmith on original Colt & Remington revolvers vs repros;

As a competitive shooter my primary concern when acquiring any firearm is the barrel, will it's condition & rate of twist provide the accuracy I expect.
Note, I've obtained match grade accuracy from numerous antique pistols & rifles with pitted bores after reconditioning/lapping the bores.

*Original Colts & Remington revolvers have 'progressive twist rifling' & produce superb groups.
I love 2nd & 3rd gen Colts for their original markings but ones I've examined have slower twist rifling than Uberti & Filipetta.

Replica options;
The Ruger Old Army while not a copy of the 58 Remington has long been a favorite with competitors because it's fast twist rifling & excellent cylinder to bore tolerances make them capable of producing suburb groups.
I personally have always prefered Uberti revolvers because they are closest to the originals & ability to use their internal components to repair original Colt & Remington revolvers.

*Yes there are some arbor issues with Uberti Colts but our talented forum members have provided cures for that issue.
Just one shooter's opinion,
Relic shooter

Phil ,do you have a video or pics showing the method of making /installing cap rake?
No video or detailed instructions. This small frame is bit different to put a rake in, I drilled in at an angle to install a screw then shaped it and fit it to the hammer. Nice part is you don’t have to buy anything if you have a small screw and a tap handy.

I was wondering if Modding (CAP RAKE etc.) is considered sacrilege? On a Sec Gen Colt that is. Apparently if it is poorly done, is the only reason that hurts the re-sale value a little.?
The first time you fire it the major drop in re-sale happens. Having Mike or Dave do the mods actually adds to the re-sale value. The major reason they are worth more dollars today than when manufactured is inflation. Mike did this 1862 Colt Pocket Navy and 5 or 6 other Colts for me. And Dave did this 1862 Pocket Police for me. Love em both!
1712703583139.png

1712703753209.jpeg

I agree with Ricky Dalton, true improvements increase value !
I collect & shoot mostly original firearms & revolvers & always impressed with some of the
'nicely done improvements' to Colts & Remington revolvers.
Maybe not so much with collectors who only collect mint specimens with no battle experience.
Relic shooter

Back