• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

refinish stock or buy new one?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took a good look at the the stock on my Lyman GPR and am wondering several things. First, the stock needs additional inletting and one of the holes for the front tang bolt needs to be enlarged, or maybe both screws are in the right place and the tang needs to be inlet farther back. There is some wood removal/rasping that needs to be done and a little filing where the toe plate meets the wood too. Last thing is that while I can shoot my GPR just fine I really need another 2 inches or so of length in the pull.

So having said all that, would it be better to send the entire rifle back to Lyman and see if they will send me a new stock that has been done right, find a pre-inlet stock with a long enough LOP or salvage the current stock?

Two questions for me, really. I'd definitely send it back to Lyman for replacement, but that won't fix the LOP issue. I'd get an inletted stock from Pecatonica or TOW and make up the longer version, too.

bull3540 said:
I'm 6'4" and need a 15 inch LOP.

If a rubber butt pad doesn't turn you off you might consider the Cabela's Hunter Hawken (also made by Investarms) with its 1" butt pad that pushes LOP to 15" or more. The one I have is the carbine model and is finished fairly well. However, I do not believe it will not meet NMLRA rules for competition.

Back