• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD REDUCED Smoothbore Copy of Baker Rifle .62

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This is an Indian copy of the famous Baker Rifle. It has a 30.5" smoothbore barrel. Bore is mirror bright and likely unfired. Lock has British style crown/"G.R." & "TOWER" markings. Some scratches on frizzen from sparking. No other visible markings. Dual leaf folding rear sight and brass blade front sight. Bright finish w/ brass furniture. Bayonet bar for sword bayonet. Walnut stock has nice figure. Sling swivels & patch box. Stock shows a chip forming in ramrod channel & some light handling wear. Brass parts show scattered oxidation and some minor dings. Bright parts remain mostly bright w/ some scattered light oxidation from storage or display. $650 + Shipping.
20231001_180917.jpg
20231001_181223.jpg
20231001_180930.jpg
20231001_181231.jpg
20231001_180959.jpg
20231001_181237.jpg
20231001_180715.jpg
20231001_180821.jpg
20231001_180749.jpg
20231001_180155.jpg

Last edited:
Who was the importer?
FWIW it looks identical, even down to the somewhat crude shaping of the 2-leaf rear sight blades, to the one I got from Military Heritage. As posted above, I sent the barrel out a couple months ago and had Bobby Hoyt rifle it.

I placed it along-side (1 above/1 below) 2 Bakers freshly built from TRS kits and the builders of those kits were amazed really. Besides the comment about the rear sight, which is the only feature thus formed, the only differences visually were say things like the length of a ramrod pipe or where it was positioned, one or the other being a tad (~1/4" or so) more forward or rearward than the other rifles. From 3' away they look like they're from the same 'tribe'.

We're Bakers ever manufactured smooth bore historically? Were they ever converted to smooth bore? Thanks

We're Bakers ever manufactured smooth bore historically? Were they ever converted to smooth bore? Thanks
Here's a good synopsis of the history of the Baker rifle:
https://web.prm.ox.ac.uk/england/englishness-baker-rifle.html
Balazs Nemeth's book, EARLY MILITARY RIFLES (ISBN 9781472842312, Osprey) is highly recommended. He also made at least one video on the Baker rifle for his YT channel, Capandball.
Rob of British Muzzleloaders on YT has put out three, I think, videos on the Baker that are a must for anyone interested in the subject.
I can't find the source now, but I remember reading that the 95th had at least some smoothbore Bakers at Waterloo, where one battalion was formed in line near La Haye Saint.

Last edited:
C'mon guys ... buy this ... as Bobby Hoyt refiled mine to be a true 62-cal rifle for only $80!

He'll even rifle it with the ultra-slooooooow twist of the originals if you want, although he doesn't recommend it. Mine shoots like a house a'fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back