• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rebarrel of CVA Mountain??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sjfriend

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Was given an early CVA Mountain 50 cal cap smokepole (1 in 66 twist). Living in Alaska I want to use for moose but 50cal prb is a little light. Was wondering who makes a good 2nd barrel in either 50cal but faster twist or larger cal? Thanks.

It didn't say but that link to Deer Creek is probably a .50 caliber with the slow roundball twist common to the Mountain Rifle.

Before ordering it I would call them up or click on the "Contact Us" button and ask about it.

you might try Lee REAL Bullets they come in I think 250 and 320 grains. the 320 would be almost twice the weight of roundball. I have used the 250gr and they shoot pretty good out of my mtn rifle. They are pretty short.

Well, he will. Just so long as you let him cut off that dang breechplug and rebreech that sucker!

The .50's are 15/16ths. The .54's are 1". I think if you want a CVA 54 cal Mtn Rifle, you'll need to get one of them. I made mine when I lived on Chena Dome Rd in 1981.

Pete Davis in VA

I owned one of these years ago in .54, but can not remember what the barrel size was, 15/16ths or 1 inch. If the barrel size for both calibers is the same then you might be able to find a .54 barrel on ebay. It might take a bit of fitting to make it work but it shouldn't be much, these rifles were all basically the same, as long as the barrel was the same size then I'm sure they used the same milling machines for every stock regardless of caliber. I often wish I had kept mine, it was an excellent rifle, very well made, and was very accurate when I did my part, probably more accurate than I was able to take advantage of.

Deer Creek has the barrels-the Big Bore 54/58 are 1" across the flats. I think they still have the larger barrels but you have to call and ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back