• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reason to reload?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnbearbaiter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Slow day in deer stand last Sunday and a coyote wandered into range so I decided to save a couple pheasants. I reloaded and have had same load in rifle since. Rifle is a TVM Leman 54 perc. Drum system I shoot 100gr of ffg T7 through and a prb with a dry felt op wad. Gun has remained in the elements when stored and rides in back of truck in a hard case to/from spot. I also use an October Country O ring nipple/brass cap system to weatherproof. Am I ok to keep hunting this load through this Sunday if need be?

cheap insurance so it will fire since it is keep in the elements. always a chance water will get in.

Loading a dirty gun with triple 7 and leaving it for 4 or 5 days?.....Risky.

A clean gun would have been fine....I guess you'll be our tester... :wink:

Let us know....

That may just be an understatement Clyde. I'd bet rusty rather than risky. MN isn't exactly a humidity free zone. Hope it works out for you 'baiter.

don't know if you 'NEED' to reload but, were it me I'd clean it and reload. as mentioned, it's 'cheap insurance'.

Agree with others. Loads keep a good while if the gun is clean but real black powder is hydroscopic and can cause rusting after being fired and the synthetics can cause chloride pitting because of their chemical make up. Once fired, every muzzleloader needs to be cleaned, regardless of propellent. Like the others say, just good insurance. :thumbsup:

Just remember that as long as there's any humidity, no matter how small a percentage, black powder will still draw moisture from it if fired.

Cost to reload vs emotional cost if gun won't fire for large buck. Your choice! :idunno: :idunno:

Wes/Tex said:
Just remember that as long as there's any humidity, no matter how small a percentage, black powder will still draw moisture from it if fired.

Yep. I almost always clean. Per my prior posts I fire every AM (when hunting) then reload and hunt then fire after dark, clean and repeat!

So I took all of your advice to heart and...I went to the range real quick on way home and shot gun offhand at a 50yd target. Dead on with no hang fire or delay. Cleaned thoroughly and gave barrel a good alcohol swab, ran an extra dry patch 20min later, and reloaded. Thanks for all the responses. Certainly not expensive to shoot our guns and I'm usually a pretty persistent cleaner otherwise just more or less feeling out the community here on what they'd do.

Rifleman1776 said:
Amen, Bro. The key words here are "after being fired".
BP, unfired can be kept in a clean rifle almost indefinately with no harm.
Fired is ruination in progress. :nono:
It's not only black powder that can damage a bore if not cleaned out. The synthetic powders leave a deposit of potassium chloride rather than potassium carbonate like real black powder. Though not as hydroscopic, the corrosion will be deeper than with black powder if not kept cleaned out. Bill Knight, who used to frequent this board as Mad Monk said it much better than I ever could. The basic secret, if secret it is, is to clean all muzzleloaders as soon as possible after firing.
https://www.camp22.org/black-powder-pages/barrel-fouling-black-powder-vs-substitutes

Last edited by a moderator:
The colder it is the slower the rust will develop. Same goes for humidity. If the gun has been outside and stayed below freezing for a week you probably don't have much to worry about.

Back