• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Velocity vs Penetration vs Expansion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing I experienced this last year, and it could all be coincidence is on a slightly quartering towards full frontal shot I just clipped inside of near side shoulder and at the 20yds the shot was the hard cast rb did fragment a bit. I normally run Hornady and the recovered rb always have pretty good weight retention. These hand cast ones shot good, but I didn't like the on game performance? Course I could've shot better too, but either way I'm all stocked up on Hornady again.

The formula makes for interesting caliber to caliber comparisons and possibly a good starting point but does not allow for different powder granulations. I prefer chronograph results. My 58 caliber rifle with a 36 inch barrel continues reasonable gains in velocity up to 140 grains of 2F. The gain above 130 grains of 2f diminished up to 150 grains so that the increase in powder produced no worthwhile velocity gain. The wimp factor prevented testing above 150 grains. The 130 grain load did knock over a buffalo. That works for me.

Back