• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rear sight on a "type D"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter LeRay

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm kicking the idea around of putting a rear sight on my fusil. What would be a good rear sight that wouldn't look too out of place? I dont shoot it in any smoothbore matches etc so that doesnt matter.

Early Lancaster. Keep it low. This would have been an after factory add on. I like a rear sight since it's easier to use. Boys can shoot better then me without one, but I find it more comfortable. It remains a barely hc add on.

I have one on my early American fowler. The front sight is the low "turtle" blade so the rear sight is very low, too. I like low sights.

Thanks guys. I found a nice sight on Muzzleloader builders Supply. Its .230 tall above the dovetail. I have a silver front sight thats about .250 tall.

Do a little research first, not sure about the type D, but the type G was made with a rear sight.
Mike Brooks used to have them available.

Dane said:
Do a little research first, not sure about the type D, but the type G was made with a rear sight.
Mike Brooks used to have them available.
remember you're talking French vs. British guns there too. The letter designation was just a system developed back in the 40's and 50's to try to make sense of the parts they were digging up at various sites. Hamilton explains it well adn it becomes obious it took a while to sort style, age and country of origin out among teh boxes of mixed parts form historic sites. don' recall seeing any evidence of rear sights on any French made trade guns...but they were probably just being practical about manufacturing costs.

And a lot folks did apparently add them. Several years ago while at the MFT I sat their and counted all the rear sights on the guns included within the trade gun exhibit. Out of 200 trade guns close to 20% had a rear site of some kind. These ranged from gunsmith installed dove tailed sights to a piece of the barrel that was raised by chisel or even an ax and then notched.

Pretty cool.

Rio

Peter LeRay said:
Thanks guys. I found a nice sight on Muzzleloader builders Supply. Its .230 tall above the dovetail. I have a silver front sight thats about .250 tall.

:photoSmile:

Rear smoothie sights are becoming more acceptable in recent years. A major shoot I attend has revised it's trade gun match rules to now allow rear sights. That pleases me :applause: as I never have perfected my 'anchor point' hold and aim with mine.

Back