• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Realistic for 1800-1820?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just another thought, going to Wolf house at Norfolk, Arkansas post, and the restoration in Little Rock is a good place to start leaning. Fort smith is also handy

Artificer said:
Grizzly Bar said:
Interesting. I hadnt considered the time frame of state development. So if a person was born in Tennessee and went toward the wilderness that would later be Arkansas, then what exactly would that person be considered? It certainly too late in the times for a longhunter correct?

That person would be considered a Frontiersman, or a Settler or a Farmer.

Gus

or, in my case, LOST :shocked2:

:blah:

Nuts! You know I saw a blade exactly that shape in a museum plate calling it a French "Coureur Des Bois" blade from ~1760. It was what finally convinced me to go ahead and buy it back around 2003 or so, when I was doing reenactments in Vermont.

Then, of course, when I loaned it to our kitchen folks during a reenactment in Virginia some years later, someone walked off with it. Was a great Knife and was only about $39 back then. Hasn't gone up much. But I remember that blade shape being a dead ringer for that knife and they even called it the same thing. I'll have to see if I can find it again,

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

Twistedin66,

Heh. I think know exactly what you are thinking of, and it's not. Slight resemblance in blade profile, but the proportions, handle, edge/blade profile, choil, jimping, and etched treatment are all different.

Grenadier1758 said:
Here's a place to dig.

Henry Rowe Schoolcraft - Journal of 1818

Schoolcraft did his travels through Arkansas right at the start of the time frame you are interested in building a representation.

Schoolcraft is a fairly good reference if you read with an understanding he was not favorably impressed with Arkansas. What he reports was his perception, not objective reporting.

tenngun said:
Another online resource is the collation of historic trekkers they have resources links to equipment and clothing of a stretch of time.

Or, the Early Arkansas Reenactors Association. Great group of people dedicated to correct reenactment. They do not always rendezvous in secluded locations but often where the public can see them. The goal is education. I belonged for many years. They have a good website.

tenngun said:
There is a lot of history in the ozarks at this time frame. Arkansas was still the wild frontier, it would not become a state until ”˜36. Deer hunting and Indian trade were still big deals. Buffs were still to be found on the western lands. The popular myth of the free trapper in a mountain cabin with his Indian wife was infact being lived in Arkansas at the time. White and buffalo river valleys were home to such men. In the Petit Jean there still stands an 1819 cabin. Much of the state was more open grass land then today. At 25 there is a good chance you would have been born in Tennessee or North Carolina maybe Kentucky or Virgina. Arkansas may well have been your goal.

Good post.
In fact, somewhere about 1820, a cameraman caught me taking a rest with another hunter in the tavern at Little Rock, now part of the Historic Arkansas Museum restoration. We were being served by a slave. Slave was a nice fellow, I felt uncomfortable with the situation even though it was the norm at that time.

Driving along the river one year I heard a lively discussion on the radio about why in the mountains it was the At-kan-Saw only to be come At-kan-ses on the plain then go back to Saw down river

tenngun said:
Driving along the river one year I heard a lively discussion on the radio about why in the mountains it was the At-kan-Saw only to be come At-kan-ses on the plain then go back to Saw down river
I'm not from Kansas. I merely reside there. And I have had innumerable discussions with folks in Wichita over the pronunciation of the river that flows through that town, down into Oklahoma, and through Little Rock. To the last person, they insist that the correct pronunciation is "Ar-Kansas" To which I reply "I dare you to go to Little Rock and tell 'em how to pronounce the name of that river." I just get dumb looks. :haha:

Ar-can-saw is the only way ive ever been taught. With a semi-thick drawl. Usually mouthed over a wad of cut tobacco. We take pronunciation seriously here for some reason. One of my dads favorite things is making fun of the weathermans pronunciations of certain towns and areas.

All this being said, im tore (again). While the era previously mentioned appeals to me, i have stumbled upon information about the frontiersmen/scouts/hunters of the 1770s in the few years leading up to, during, and after the ARW. For some reason this intrigues me greatly. So im considering trying to encorporate both to a degree. Would depend on the natural life span of the time though i suppose. Im currently 25, so i could place my self in the frontier during the begining of the ARW, then as i age, my persona can age with me into the early 1800s time period.

Thoughts on this plan?

Nothing wrong with your plan. You have picked a who, where, what and why. Now it's time to get reading.... :thumbsup:

Cruzatte said:
tenngun said:
I'm not from Kansas. I merely reside there. And I have had innumerable discussions with folks in Wichita over the pronunciation of the river that flows through that town, down into Oklahoma, and through Little Rock. To the last person, they insist that the correct pronunciation is "Ar-Kansas" To which I reply "I dare you to go to Little Rock and tell 'em how to pronounce the name of that river." I just get dumb looks. :haha:

And, there is the issue of how to pronounce 'Ouichita'. :doh:

Latest posts

Back