• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Real world accuracy from a CVA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE:

Using a 0.010 patch, a true 0.490 ball and 65gr AMPioneer FFg, I'm at about an inch at 25 yards, shooting offhand.

Time to move to the bnechrest, and keep tweaking.

Thanx for the help thus far.

When you move to a bench rest also move the target to increase the distance if possible.

A smoothbore with good sights will hold a 1 inch group at 25 yards. It is only at longer distances that the problems with loose patches and incorrect powder charges start to become noticeable.

Many people move the target to 50 yards but if you have to settle for 35 or 40 yards that's ok too.

You didn't mention the condition of your shot patches so I assume they are not ripped or burned?

If you have trouble finding them they are usually about 20-40 feet in front of the muzzle.
If it's windy they can blow all over so it helps to have a friend standing behind you to keep an eye on where they landed.

garandman said:
UPDATE:

Using a 0.010 patch, a true 0.490 ball and 65gr AMPioneer FFg, I'm at about an inch at 25 yards, shooting offhand.

Time to move to the bnechrest, and keep tweaking.

Thanx for the help thus far.

You will likely need a thicker patch. My mountain stalker shot best with a 0.020 patch.

Bob

I couldn't even get a ball with a 0.020 patch started.

And I haven't found a 0.010 patch yet, that I could read.

garandman said:
I couldn't even get a ball with a 0.020 patch started.

And I haven't found a 0.010 patch yet, that I could read.

WOW I am surprised. My Mountain Stalker has pretty deep rifling and I found that the thicker patch grabs the rifling better and that combination does very well in mine. If you have deep rifling it might be worthwhile to try a smaller ball and a thicker patch.

I often have trouble finding my patches as well but they are out there and IME they go further than you think they will. Someone once suggested laying an old bed sheet out in front of your shooting bench. It might be worth a try to get the patches to stand out from the ground clutter.

Bob

this is my best range session so far with my 50cal CVA Hawken (a.k.a "Thunder"), 50 grs Goex 3f, 490 rb, .015" ticking, home brew lube, from the bench, sand bag and daypack for a rest. distance to target is 100 yrds.

DSC01275.jpg

here's a view from the bench

040912150359.jpg

as you can see, accuracy can be quite good with the cva's.

garandman said:
Right now, I'm about 1.5-1.75" @ 25 yards. 80gr FFG American Pioneer, 0.010 patch, 175gr .50 roundball.

As I said elsewhere, I'm a BP newb, but I'm def interested to see what these guns can do.

If you use real BP accuracy will likely improve. Good BP invariably outshoots the subs.
I would go to a blue stripe ticking patch or denim that runs about .018. .010" is far too thin. If .018 starts hard get a short starter.

Shots should be 1" or so at 50 maybe 2" at 100 but ANY wind will blow the groups. So if the group is 1" high and 2-3" wide at 50 think about what the wind may be doing.

Flintlockcompositegroup.jpg

This is a composite of 10 shots for score in a 60 yard string measure match. Shot from a plank rest.
Note #5. The wind was from right to left at 3 oclock, but sometimes from 1 oclock which will push the shots down a little. The wind changes show pretty well on the target.
I thought the wind was OK for #5, but it wasn't or a gust blew through after I checked the wind.
This would have been a club record had #5 staid within an inch. But thats rifle matches.
This is a custom barrel by McLemore. But the club record is held by a 45 cal Green Mountain barrel.
If you are interested in accuracy see http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/
For matches or shooting for group size this is the ultimate.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Back