• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Re-working an old meat cleaver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up an old meat cleaver at a yard sale. The handle was ruined, and the blade is pretty rusty, but I thought it could be a fun project to work on, and it was cheap. I decided that since I'll be doing a lot of clean-up work on the blade, and replacing the handle, I might as well try to make it PC. I don't really care specifically what era it's PC for; just a general mid-1700's to mid 1800's time. So, here's the questions....

Does anyone know where I can find some pics of old cleavers?
What material should I use for the handle?
Bolster or no bolster? It has one now, but I think I could get rid of it easily.

Hickory scales, with 16d nails for pins, and pewter bolster. My $0.02...Bud

the one i have, had a bad tip, to rusted to save :( so i made a knife out of it, razor sharp and 2 lbs heavy :thumbsup: not for every day carrying :thumbsup: the pick is in this index Brians work, had to find it but it is there.

I also have an old cleaver that I found in a collapsed shed. It's in rough shape, but I plan to make a belt knife out of it later on when I learn what I'm doing with my forge.

CNC

Oak or hickory would be good...nails for handle pins.

You can pickle the blade in white vinegar to lift some of the rust. I use dilute sodium bisulphate.

make sure you don't take the curve out of the back, if any, The OLD cleavers had curved spines for malletiung through meat cuts, in the days before band saws.

Recycle it!

Latest posts

Back