• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Re-Staining a Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snakebite

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a good process to restain a stock on a rifle I've had for several years. It's fine the way it is, it's just I'd like a darker stock. Would you need to strip it down, sand, etc?

Any suggestions?

All of the original finish and stain (color) must be GONE so that the new stain can soak into the wood.

Since the mid 70's; I have stripped and stained hundreds of M1903 and A3 stocks and hand guards, Garand stocks an hand guards, M14 stocks and many civilian stocks. I have tried almost every stripper available over the counter and some commercial furniture strippers. I have seen some of these I've done 15 to over 30 years after I did them.

FWIW, I've found the stripper that is the least damaging to the wood and leaves nothing behind that may screw up the finish or wood is to strip the stock with Acetone and Paper Towels. Wear chemical resistant gloves and have GOOD ventilation when using it. (I often have a fan blowing across where I strip the stocks.)

The ONLY time I use anything else is when there is oil soaked wood or an epoxy finish and that is not something I've seen on repro's or most original muzzleloading stocks.

Gus

Have you ever used the dishwasher to strip your Garand and carbine stocks? It seems to work great and raises dents very well. Never lost a cartouche with it either.

Col. Batguano said:
Have you ever used the dishwasher to strip your Garand and carbine stocks? It seems to work great and raises dents very well. Never lost a cartouche with it either.

Even when I had a dishwasher, I never used it to strip stocks. From other stocks I've seen that people said they stripped in a dishwasher, I think you are lucky it didn't hurt the cartouche/s. Maybe it was the way they did it?

With Acetone, I use an Acetone dampened and wrung out wad of paper towels over the cartouche/stamped areas. I sort of use a glancing wipe over the cartouches/stamps, like one does in French polishing. This is the best way I personally know to not harm original cartouches/stamps.

Gus

I've never stripped a stock, but I've worked on a boatload of furniture, and I can attest that Gus is spot on ... acetone is the way to go.

also - follow his advice about ventilation! that stuff will kill way too many brain cells, and will leave you with a hangover which would slay a dragon! (don't ask me how I know - now I do that outdoors)

I refinished my t/c hawken last year. I used citrustrip and let it sit for 24 hrs. I scraped off all the old stain and varnish, which came off in 5 minutes. Sanded with 200 and 300 grit paper, and used Minwax dark walnut, sanded lightly between 3 coats, and two coats of matte finish, rubbing with steel wool between coats. Cleaned all the brass and used Birchwood Casey Brass Black on it. The rifle has a warmer feel to it. I got the finish and look that I wanted.

I used a spray on remover when I redid the rifle pictured below, didn't care for the original finish and added a patchbox, was left with some minor sanding/wiskering and such but other wise it was a painless experience.

I used Zep Off to strip the finish, thought it worked well.
IMG_0215_zps276220a2.jpg

Authentic Builder, where do you purchase Zep-Off? I've looked on the net and can't find a place that sells it, especially anyone close to me. The one place I did find wanted close to $400 for 12 20oz. cans, is that what this stuff costs? That would make it well over $30 per can.

Ok, so I found it for $120 for a 12 pk., that's a good price but I don't need 12, just one or two.

Honestly don't remember where I picked up the zep off, maybe the local hardware store.

I'll do a little bit of looking about and see what I can find.

Remember now why I bought that stuff, to strip paint from a van, ended up not doing that and kept the cans of zep around, bought them (onesey-toosey) at an auto parts store, not hardware.

Hope this helps

Back