• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RCA #52

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff Jones

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings....
Just completed this attempt to loosely copy RCA #52.

I've always liked this particular weapon...I don't know why...it's seems to be a confusing, somewhat plain early piece. It realy can't seem to decide what it wants to be. The triggerguard and lockplate scream Christian's spring...same as the Edward Marshall rifle. The shape seems somewhat Lehigh Valley, yet with the straight comb looks almost Bucks. It is unattributed in RCA, I believe EK suggests Gumph...??

Anyway, constructive criticism, please. I need to learn from each building experience.

50 cal Colerain swamped C weight, Modified Chambers early Ketland lock, blank from Dunlap, Barrel and RR inlet by Fred Miller.

Constructive criticism, please. I need to learn from each building experience!

Have at it!!! Look here...hope it works!

Geoff,
Looks Great :hatsoff: :hatsoff:
I like the incised carving and as always your inletting is flawless.
What is the trigger pull??? 2 or 3 lbs???

I like it. I would be proud to carry a rifle like that. I love the color, the finish is good, and the rifle has a very good flow to it.

I don't like the plain sideplate. A rifle that fancy looks unfinished wtih out with the sideplate being decorated.

It's a really nice job you did on it. I especially like the design on the patchbox. Are you keeping it in the white?

Thanks guys...

The color is Vinegar stain...roughly 4 months old..still brewing.

And yes, I think an early rifle like this would have the barrel in the white.

The lock is LMF, left 12 hours and then boiled 5 minutes, repeat 3 times or so.
Geoff

Great job. You should be proud of that rifle. I didn't think I'd like a barrel left in the white until I saw a beautifully built 1770ish Lancaster at my last rendezvous. Now I think it's the way to go. :hatsoff:

Very nice. I like the incised carving too. And the barrel in the white is definitely the way to go. Hope it shoots as good as it looks!

Back