• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Raven feathers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if owning feathers from a Raven is legal? The reason I'm asking is I'm looking for a few for decoration on a hair roach if they are legal. My Native name is Raven and I would like to obtain a few if possable, any of you northern guys ever come across any while out in the woods? thanks YMHS Birdman

It might depend if you were a tribal member or not. Non First Nation folks are generally prohibited from possessing feathers without a permit by the Lacey Act dating from the early 1900s. This act was what stopped feathers of wild birds from being used in the millinary trade. I once possessed hawk feathers legally but that was because they were still attached to the hawk I hunted with. GC

birdman :{
i'll just say that if you can find me a game warden that can tell a ravens feather from a common crow , i'll buy ya a steak dinner ....
also don't mean to start any flame , but the lacey act isn't about feathers nessarly but the transportation of illegal game acrossed state lines , maybe its being confused with the migratory bird treaty act ??? i dunno ? will crow feathers work birdman , those i can help you with , there are a few ravens around these parts of the state but i would prefer to let them fly

You can find the regulations here:
http://www.fws.gov/permits/SpeciesLists/SpeciesLists.shtml

Here's a PDF containing the protected Migratory Birds:
http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/intrnltr/mbta/cnvntion.pdf

Hornbuilder I appreciate the offer but I would rather keep trying for the real thing if I can get some.(I would know the difference n its a spiritual thing) No I'm not of Native blood so that kind of makes it harder in a sense. Your right though about the difference between crow n raven, The raven's are quite a bit bigger n a bit different color black when ya put both together. Claude, thanks, I went on both of those sites n can't find anything that says ya can't own them but them again with the feds ya never know. I'll make a few calls n see what I can come up with,thanks again YMHS Birdman

i would say use goose feathers but as far as i know some indians refered to them as manure birds lol.but they would work.you could cut them to shape and there are plenty of goose feathers in lancaster county i know :grin:

I would suggest going to your local fly fishing/fly tying supplier, I have bought many domestic and exotic feathers from them...

The way I read the MBTA, common ravens are listed and so I can't have a feather without a permit. Too bad. I'll have to return the feather a raven dropped to me after my last disappointing elk hunt. She said to tie it to the barrel of my smokepole so I could tell the wind direction more easily.

I would think that any bird you can legaly shoot you could posses their feathers.

Berk

stumkiller :{

you are exactly correct , birdman , i know that you are from the great state of pennsylvania , therefore you fall under the laws as such ......ravens are not ,,legal game , therefore are considered protected . all game not listed as game animals or birds are protected .
which makes the possession of said feathers illegal....
read my profile and take a wild guess which agency i work for .........
i'll still take that bet for a steak dinner if your interested ........
find a nest in the spring of the year , and pick up a " crow " feather ......nuff said

i still say get a goose or walk around a pond where there were gooses.and cut the feathers to size.there feathers are black.bird man.you are at oxford.well there are plenty of geese all over the place in lancaster county :grin:

My guess is that perhaps some states may have laws against it...but I doubt it. Owls, hawks and eagles are predators and as such are necessary in the greater scheme of things. Not to mention they have significance in indian beliefs. Ravens are more like crows..scavengers. Funny thing is I have never seen raven listed as a game bird or a varmint...same as a crow imo. Never tried eatin one either, but, I have heard that a crow makes one fine pet, smart bird and I would think a raven even more so. Occasionally I see a raven around where I live..I do like them around..neat bird but, that would not stop me from gettin one to get the feathers off of, only thing is...to me it would be sort of like wearing a pigeon feather, not much effort involved.

If you want a very interesting book on ravens get Bernd Heinrich's "Raven in Winter". He has written another book on ravens titled "Mind of the Raven". They are amazing birds that will call wolves and hunters to caribou. GC

oomcurt said:
Owls, hawks and eagles are predators and as such are necessary in the greater scheme of things. Not to mention they have significance in indian beliefs. Ravens are more like crows..scavengers.

Wha??? :confused:

I fail to see how these two species being scavengers makes them of any less importance in the "scheme of things". Have any idea what this world would be like without "scavengers"?

Also...

Both Ravens and Crows have significant spiritual importance to most, if not all native cultures on this continent that had contact with the species. This is especially true in the Pacific NW.

For instance... to the Salish, Raven is the trickster, the transformer. He is an important part of Creation and according to some stories, Raven brought light to the world, placing the Sun, Moon, and stars in the sky.

I am not pulling your leg here, but making a real suggestion. If you really want to have a raven feather, I am suggesting that you write the Tower of London here in UK, where we hold seven ravens, not as pets, but as part of the traditions of the place. The last time we were there one perched on my shoulder for about half an hour, and only the temptation of it's own slice of fried bread moved the bird away, and they get very heavy.

The man to write to is the Keeper of the Unkindness of Ravens, Yeoman Warder Derrick Coyle, who may be able to offer you a couple of shed items and provide a letter to show that you came by them legally - see[url] http://www.historic-uk.com/DestinationsUK/TowerRavens.htm[/url]

Here in UK ravens are fully protected, and comparatively rare around where we live in the flat bit. Like crows, they are the cleverest things with feathers... I have often walked around our countryside with an empty gun watching the rooks and crows flocking. The moment after I loaded the gun, the sky was empty of them...
If men were birds, very few would be clever enough to be a crow, let alone a raven.

tac

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks dgeraths:
sometimes we all need a refresher on the importance of our wild critters , respect for these critters means we won't just kill them for a feather ....... :nono:

well if your gonna kill something.at least kill it for meat.there are plenty of places on the web that sell feathers of all kinds :grin:

Stumpkiller said:
"Them ain't raven feathers. Them's crow." :grin:

No...

Look here for the difference...
[url] http://www.shades-of-night.com/aviary/difs.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back