• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range report Walker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The outbreak of war with Mexico in 1846 led a suddenly revolver- hungry U.S. military to scour gun shops for remaining Colt handguns. Colonel Samuel Walker of the U.S. Mounted Rifles, a former Texas Ranger who had witnessed the power of the Paterson in the 1844 Commanche fight, traveled east to look up Sam Colt and offer some ideas for an improved version of the gun. The result was the massive, six-shot .44-caliber "Walker" Colt. Despite a disturbing tendency to blow up in a shooter's hand, the "Walker" put Colt back into the gun business for good. For the next twelve years, the terms "revolver" and "Colt" were synonymous.

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:VIV4hIHhyy0J:www.civilwarhome.com/capballrevolver.htm+some+percussion+walker%27s+would+blow+up+when+fired&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

The massive Dragoon was introduced to rectify a number of defects found in the even larger Colt Walker revolver which were discovered in active service during the Mexican War. For example, the Walker was so large at four and a half poundsge at four and a half pounds that it was quite unwieldy. Additionally, a number of Walkers exploded when they were fired, no doubt causing much grief to their users. Features introduced in the Dragoon model include a slightly shorter cylinder, holding up to 50 grains of powder and a round ball (compared with 60 grains in the Walker), a slightly shorter barrel (7.5 inches versus 9 inches for the Walker), and a somewhat more positive loading lever latch designed to keep the lever from dropping down during recoil and jamming the piece. The shorter barrel and cylinder brought weight down to 4 pounds two ounces and thus made the arm slightly easier to handle. The lower powder capacity lowered chamber pressures and made the gun inherently less likely to blow up when shot. Improvements in Colt's metallurgy also helped in this regard.

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:NRCmNV8sIvgJ:home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/tech/dragoon.htm+some+percussion+walker%27s+would+blow+up+when+fired&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

Yeah I have read in a few places the same thing. As a matter of fact I cam across the same article you posted.

Fortunatly our modern replicas dont have the same problem with weak metals.

mykeal said:
TANSTAAFL said:
Original Walker's were notorious for blowing up, both cylinders and barrels, poor metal in them.
TANSTAAFL - Do you have a reference for that? I've been doing some reading about the early Colt horse pistols but haven't come across much about Walkers blowing up. Would appreciate a link if you have one.

Thanks.
Besides the idea that the metal was a tad weak is the possibility that the troopers inexperience with the conical bullets led to some of them loading them point first into the chambers. When fired they jammed in the forcing cone and the next round fired blew up the gun. I will try to find the reference for this theory, but I believe it is a relatively new one. It does seem possible though.

Besides the idea that the metal was a tad weak is the possibility that the troopers inexperience with the conical bullets led to some of them loading them point first into the chambers. When fired they jammed in the forcing cone and the next round fired blew up the gun. I will try to find the reference for this theory, but I believe it is a relatively new one. It does seem possible though.
I read the same thing myself, but can not remember where.

I have always understood that the walkers that blew up were from a specific run that had been incorrectly heat treated. The lighting at the factory had been altered such that the correct shade of red wasnt achieved in the hardening sequence. It was subsequently corrected and the problem was solved. I cannot quote the source here at work but I will search at home for the referance.

Rikeman,

First, congratulations on owning and shooting the most powerful BP revolver ever made! I've had mine for quite a while now. Use a 50 grain charge of 3Fg Goex, a pre-lubed wonder-wad and a Hornady .454 ball. Have won several competitions with this non-adjustable sight beemoth, once scoring a 95x100 at 25 yards. The Walker is incredibly accurate, and can also hit a gong at 135 yards all day long!

Let me give you a tip or two on the cleaning/operation of this piece: 1. Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine cleaner, distributed by Lyman, completely emulsifies BP on contact. Just wet a patch with the stuff and wipe the cylinder face as you're turning the cylinder and the cylinder face and forcing cone will get clean enough for another "go"! It has a drying agent in it, so it doesn't need a dry patch, unless you get a lot into the cylinder or down the bore. Just remember to "cap-off" at the line so that no dirt gets into the nipples during cleaning. 2. It's O-K to help turn that BIG cylinder into battery as the cylinder gets dirty. You don't have to rely just on the ability of the hammer to turn the cylinder into battery. 3. Remember to look for spent caps fragments falling down and being crushed by the falling hammer at the "arch" that meets the hammer...this condition can lead to caps failure to fire and you'll go nuts looking for the root cause of the problem! A simple pocket knife blade edge can pry the spent crushed cap off of the gun where the hammer comes into contact with the frame, making for an easier day at the range. 4. During a normal "break-in" period of the first box or two of balls, all of the parts that hold the revolver together are getting used to the stresses involved. Once this is complete, the revolver will be easier to take apart and put back together! 5. I find that my best cylinder pin lube is from a company called Masters. It comes in a small bottle and has a "needle-style" applicator that's great for getting into the smallest of places. I use a lot of it on the yoke & pin, and a small drop on each high point on the cylinder where the cylinder meets the frame's cocking lever.

Now all we both need is a second one so that we too can grow a scruffly beard and change our names to Josey! :haha:

Have fun with that thing!

Dave

TANSTAAFL - Thanks for the links. I was rather hoping for a contemporary (to the 1860's) account but neither Bilby nor Markowitz provide a reference.

It was my understanding that the exploding cylinder problems were experienced in the development of the Walker rather than issued guns, and that it was mostly worked out by the time they were mass produced. Colt reportedly spent a lot of time on improving his metallurgy for the Walker as a part of the development process. It was that impression that I was trying to either confirm or refute.

Thanks, I appreciate the effort.

Not many Walker's were produced, too many problems and it was superseded by the Dragoon series of pistols.

The Walker had several flaws which needed to be fixed. Most seriously, there were metallurgical problems which led to a number of the guns exploding when they were fired. This contributed to the very low survival rate of this model, of which only about 1000 were made. The loading lever was held up by a spring latch, which unfortunately would often release the lever under the influence of recoil, causing the cylinder to bind. The sheer size of the piece made handling cumbersome. Despite these drawbacks, the Colt Walker was superior to the single shot muzzle loading pistols of the era, as well as the relatively few competing repeaters. It was enough to keep Colt's in business.

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:uPAO4o56FakJ:home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/tech/coltperc.htm+how+many+walker+colts+were+made&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

I think there were even a couple of movies where they referenced the Walkers propensity to blow up.

"Unforgiven" comes to mind as one.
[url] http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Walker+pistol+failing+common+unforgiven&btnG=Search[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
mykeal said:
TANSTAAFL - Thanks for the links. I was rather hoping for a contemporary (to the 1860's) account but neither Bilby nor Markowitz provide a reference.

It was my understanding that the exploding cylinder problems were experienced in the development of the Walker rather than issued guns, and that it was mostly worked out by the time they were mass produced. Colt reportedly spent a lot of time on improving his metallurgy for the Walker as a part of the development process. It was that impression that I was trying to either confirm or refute.

Thanks, I appreciate the effort.

Bilby is a member of one of the local Ranges that I belong to here in NJ. I have his email address. If you want me to, I'll contact him and ask him if it's O-K that I give it to you in a "PT"

Dave

I was reading through one of these on line "history of the Walker" sites. I read that it was believed that up to 1/5 of the walkers were reported to have failed in the field due to the reasons already stated. I am trying to find that article, but I do know it didn't site where that information came from.

Smokin...

Thanks for your post! All great information. I was wondering if the Walker was always going to be so difficult to pull apart and put back together.

As far as not being afraid to help the cylinder along.....well I didnt have a choice! After a few shots, it was required! :rotf:

I do really love the Walker though. It is the most fun to shoot out of any gun I own! And gets the most attention at the range too!

Rikeman said:
Smokin...

Thanks for your post! All great information. I was wondering if the Walker was always going to be so difficult to pull apart and put back together.

As far as not being afraid to help the cylinder along.....well I didnt have a choice! After a few shots, it was required! :rotf:

I do really love the Walker though. It is the most fun to shoot out of any gun I own! And gets the most attention at the range too!

It does draw attention, don't it??

One more item...It may have already been said: You don't have to hammer the wedge back into place all the way through! Just make sure that the little spring tab clears the frame on the other side, then carefully apply the little screw that holds the wedge in place. This will give you a smidge more clearence between the cylinder face and the forcing cone on the frame :grin:

Gotta hit the sack soon! Chat tomorrow morning.

Dave

smokin .50 said:
Bilby is a member of one of the local Ranges that I belong to here in NJ. I have his email address. If you want me to, I'll contact him and ask him if it's O-K that I give it to you in a "PT"

Dave

If he has a reference to an original document relating/regarding the Walker/Dragoon development, esp. the metallurgy, I'd appreciate it. I don't wish to bother him, however, as I'm just curious to read the history; I'm not a serious scholar or researcher. As many here have said, there are articles providing what someone thinks was done, so I think there must be a document someplace that's a first or second hand account of the activity and motivation for it. This stuff has to come from someplace...

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :surrender:

Well I joined the club. Just arrived yesterday a lovely new Uberti Colt Walker to add to all it's "little brothers". Quality on mine is really impressive, totally flawless in everyway out of the box. I took it all the way down too and not a screw was factory overtightened! Timing, fit and function are right on.

I have armies, navies, remington armies and navies and one dragoon. Always figured "what do i need a Walker for? The Dragoon completely covers the big guns!" Nope, I've changed my tune. Everyone NEEDS a Walker!

This thing is just all around so impressive. Can't wait to get it out and make some smoke!

Phantom Captain said:
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :surrender:

Well I joined the club. Just arrived yesterday a lovely new Uberti Colt Walker to add to all it's "little brothers". Quality on mine is really impressive, totally flawless in everyway out of the box. I took it all the way down too and not a screw was factory overtightened! Timing, fit and function are right on.

I have armies, navies, remington armies and navies and one dragoon. Always figured "what do i need a Walker for? The Dragoon completely covers the big guns!" Nope, I've changed my tune. Everyone NEEDS a Walker!

This thing is just all around so impressive. Can't wait to get it out and make some smoke!

Once you get it out and shoot it, I think it will rapidly become your favorite! When you shoot it just be prepared for the crowds! It is always a crowd favorite.

Congrats :hatsoff:

Thanks Rikeman!

My blackpowder stuff usually draws a crowd regardless. :grin: That may have something to do with my blackpowder shooting hottie girlfriend though! :grin: :grin:

Seriously, I don't know how anything can de-throne my '51 navy. I just LOVE that pistol in all ways, feel, balance, accuracy...everything. I also totally love my 2nd Gen. '60 Army too but I tell you what, I think you're right in that the Walker will make a mighty case for itself!!

Can't wait to get this hog-leg out!

Phantom Captain said:
Thanks Rikeman!

My blackpowder stuff usually draws a crowd regardless. :grin: That may have something to do with my blackpowder shooting hottie girlfriend though! :grin: :grin:

Seriously, I don't know how anything can de-throne my '51 navy. I just LOVE that pistol in all ways, feel, balance, accuracy...everything. I also totally love my 2nd Gen. '60 Army too but I tell you what, I think you're right in that the Walker will make a mighty case for itself!!

Can't wait to get this hog-leg out!

Got a photo of the girlfriend to share with us pistoleros? This way we could tell if it's Her or the gun that draws the most attention! :shocked2:

Enjoy the Walker: 50 grains of 3Fg and be there!

Dave

:grin:

Hehe, well I suppose I could post a pic!

And yeah, 50 grains is the starting point! I already load up my Dragoon with 45gr.

IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1140a.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

LOL, nah, it's probably the guns right?? :grin:

I'm going to behave myself and just say that you're one lucky guy!

Depending upon the outfit selected, the guns may have some competition :)

It's always nice to see the empowerment of the female of the species, especially when it comes to HOT LEAD and SMOKE :haha:

That grass is sure geen...the days are getting longer again!

Nice Range & covered firing points too!

Dave

Thank you,

Seriously, I am lucky, she's a good one! She loves shooting the Black more than modern stuff by far. Already has her own .58 Enfield Rifle and .36 '61 Navy. This winter we have been casting balls like mad because she even really enjoys doing that! 60lbs so far with another 60lbs to go! Over 800 .454 and .375 round balls and 800 .575 minies done so far.

I mean a girl that twists my arm to get out to the range??! Can't beat that I say! :grin: :wink:

Oh and sorry for hijacking the thread, did not intend to.

Back