• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use 8-32 on the rods that go in my guns because the reproduction tow worms I use are 8-32, and strength isn't an issue. I use 10-32 on my modern cleaning rods because, why not? If you don't care about using a historically correct tow worm or ball puller, then it probably doesn't matter and you may as well use 10-32.

The #8-32 thread size was mainly used on modern cartridge cleaning rods whereas the #10-32 thread size was used mainly for muzzle loading gun supplies. Use whatever thread size you want but I would go with the #10-32 thread size for muzzle loading stuff. It is a stronger thread because of its diameter. You can always buy a thread adapter to use the #8-32 stuff.

I use 8-32 on the rods that go in my guns because the reproduction tow worms I use are 8-32, and strength isn't an issue. I use 10-32 on my modern cleaning rods because, why not? If you don't care about using a historically correct tow worm or ball puller, then it probably doesn't matter and you may as well use 10-32.
Ok why is 8/32 more correct than 10/32. I guess it depends on the time period gun. In the age of hand cut threads I don't see that they only used one or the other and quite likely neither.

10-32 is a little stronger. If all your other guns have 10-32 then don't change. No stain just a mixture of different oils and bone black rubbed in to bring out the grain.

Attachments

• IMG_20230429_103614584_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230429_103614584_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Ok why is 8/32 more correct than 10/32. I guess it depends on the time period gun. In the age of hand cut threads I don't see that they only used one or the other and quite likely neither.
Actually, neither is period correct as they didn't have standardized threads. Cleaning was done with tow worms or grooves carved in the tips of the ramrods. There were some ball pullers that threaded onto the ends of steel rods of muskets, but the thread pitch was whatever the armorer or artificer was using at the time in his thread block.

Most of my working rods have the 8-32 thread. a few rods have the 10-32 thread. When I first started, the T/C was the only manufacturer that use 10-32 threads. Most others used 8-32 threads except for the Italian and Spanish (CVA) guns that used a metric thread pitch. The metric ramrods remained in the thimbles or were quickly replaced.

Back