• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josephg

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to replace a broken ebony/rosewood ramrod.

Anyone here can make one for me? .350 X 36.

"Only macasser ebony is available. And closest size is .375” dia."

Was the answer I got. After searching cyber space a bit, it looks to me like ebony and rosewood in long lengths is mighty dear these days.

I just finished making an ebony ramrod. Gabon ebony is the way to go. Pretty much impossible to find any dowels made of it. I bought a board and made a dowel cutter. Turned out very nice. It is not hard to do but it takes a bit of time. Gabon ebony boards are very, very expensive. Good part is that you will likely end up with a board that you make a few ramrods from.

I just finished making an ebony ramrod. Gabon ebony is the way to go. Pretty much impossible to find any dowels made of it. I bought a board and made a dowel cutter. Turned out very nice. It is not hard to do but it takes a bit of time. Gabon ebony boards are very, very expensive. Good part is that you will likely end up with a board that you make a few ramrods from.
I'm not looking for a favor. If you can make another for me I will compensate.

You don't need me to make it for you. It is simple enough to make one. Start with an ebony board and cut it to about 1/16 inch larger than the diameter you need and run it through a dowel cutter. Do one from maple or birch or something first to get it adjusted to cut the right size. You want it to come out a bit large at first then sand it down to proper size. It will come out of the dowel cutter pretty rough. Don't need that big of a board for .350 x 36. You can probably get a nice one for about $100 or so. You can always use any scrap for something else.

I don't mean any offense, but if he wanted to make one wouldn't he ask someone how to go about it... he clearly asked who could make one and he'd compensate.

Reminds me of the old saw... on the internet you ask where's the best place to get a steak, and someone tells you what you really want is Pork Chops.

"Only macasser ebony is available. And closest size is .375” dia."

Was the answer I got. After searching cyber space a bit, it looks to me like ebony and rosewood in long lengths is mighty dear these days.

None of my stock will make 36". Otherwise I would have been able to make one for you.

DGW has a 36" long x 3/8" RR blank for $19 that can be sanded down to fit your bore/thimbles, and the ends of your broken RR salvaged to install on the new RR.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/4581/product_name/RA0111+Rosewood+Ramrod
I looked at them on the DGW website. If I can get ebony, that's really what I'm after. I do have some straight grain Bubinga here in the shop if I can't locate ebony. I'll need to get a new blade for the bandsaw. Ramrod needs to be turned straight and true. The broken rod is perfectly round and doesn't vary by more than .005. I make my own ends on the lathe when I need them. Don't want to tool up to make one fancy ramrod.

Back