• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod tip

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmatt

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone enlighten me as to cutting the end of a blank ramrod to install the brass tip? :idunno:

I'm sure there are many ways to do that.
I use a small table saw and carefully roll it over the blade set just high enough to remove a little at a time until the tip slides on the rod.
Otherwise, one would need to cut a line around the rod at the desired spot and then file away the excess.
I always epoxy and pin my tips on.

I score the end with a brake line tubing cutter to depth then use a chisel & file to fit the tip, epoxy & pin.

W/ a sharp knife a cut is made around the dia and a chisel is used to back cut to the knife cut. Then the dia is filed w/ 4 flats and then 8 flats and then the corners are rounded and the RR tip is fitted.

A waxed bolt is screwed in to the bottom of the large dia and epoxy is applied to the tip and RR, pushed together and when setup, a pin is installed.....Fred

how you remove the wood is pretty much up to you - these are all good ways (I like flehto's best)

what's really important is that you pin it ... if you don't ....

well, don't ask me how I know :redface:

Gosh, I feel like I've gone high tech compared with some of you guys. I made up a set of guide blocks with aligned sets of holes to just pass 5/16ths, 3/8ths and 1/2 inch rod stock. The blocks are about 12 inches apart. Spouse or daughter runs electric drill clamped to other end of rod while I dress down the working end to just slip on the fitting. Usually turn a section slightly long, then rasp off to bring end of fitting flush with shoulder on the rod stock.

Flehto is so right to recommend blocking the drilled inner passage before applying epoxy. And as everyone has said- drill it crosswise, counter sink a bit, and place a crosspin! Otherwise you will have to go fishing down a blind hole.....

White Fox

Hi,
Pinning is good but you can also use a wedge just like an axe handle. Cut a slot in end of the ramrod after whittling so the tip fits. Then make a small wedge to fit the slot, put glue on the ramrod, and hammer the tip home. The wedge will expand the wood and anchor the tip as well as a pin. That is how the tips on Brown Bess muskets were affixed when wooden rods were used.

dave

That's a new one on me! I will be giving it a try next time. I usually just pin mine on after filing and checking fit often. I never liked pinning tips on but I didn't know of another way of keeping it on. I usually counter-sink the tip a little bit also.

Should be able to find it in SEARCH. It has been posted on here dozens of times in detail.

Keith Lisle

"A waxed bolt is screwed in to the bottom of the large dia and epoxy is applied to the tip and RR, pushed together and when setup, a pin is installed".....Fred
Can you explain this another way ??
I'm not getting the idea of the waxed bolt and where it goes and what it does..
Kinda dumb about this concept..
thank you .... thom

Hi...the waxed bolt keeps the epoxy out of the threads and the wax prevents the epoxy from "gluing" to the bolt. I screw the bolt in so it's just at the bottom of the larger dia....the total threaded length is "protected" by the bolt.

There are many ways to install a RR tip and seeing I only do this several months apart, I don't need a quicker way.....Fred

Much better to have that edge of the brass & wood beveled or cut 45 degrees. They are prone to break off at that 90 degree cut & about 50% stronger if the 90 degree cuts are made on 45 deg.

Keith Lisle

On a few LRs that had slightly imperfect RR holes which req'd reduced dias, a RR tip w/ thicker walls would have been nice. Normally don't taper the RR and the dia reduction isn't all that great, but have to sort through the tips to find one w/ thicker walls. Minor complaint, but a slightly thicker wall would be handy....Fred

I did do a search and came up with little.
Thanks to all for the replies. Had ideas, just looking for better ways.

Could be it started as a topic & ended up we washed an elephant. :redface: Have a tendency to get off topic some times. If you goto that link Zonie gave you, it will get your RR done. I use dyed Accraglas Gel to glue mine on, then pin them. Basically same as when I wrote that up, except I was using Microbed at that time.

Keith Lisle

I have found a supplier that has the tip I want, then I buy a dozen of each size, so I always have the same type, length & wall thickness. Same way with Jags & ball pullers, etc. Most of the time, I get them from Tip Curtis.

Now at times Tip's may cost a buck more, but the Quality is always there. The jags from some of the venders have too thick of walls & you basically have no wood in the tip to hold it. Also because scrap brass is high, some now are making these Tips & Jags 1/2" shorter & I don't like that. I want them both Long....

Keith Lisle

PS: Seen many a time a guy spend $ 1000. on parts for a rifle & cringe on paying a extra buck for a good ramrod or well made RR tips or accessories. I can assure you, you spend the 1000, the other 3-4 bucks will not hurt at all.

Back