• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod issues with 1842 Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle_kalasnik

Lousy Shot and Dry Baller
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I recently acquired a 1842 Springfield Rifled Musket.

I love it, but my only complaint is the ramrod that came with it. The ramrod looks authenti ramrod is made for minie balls

When it is seated under the barrel it sticks out past the barrel 5/16”

It is impossible to remove it unless I use pliers.

When it is inserted in the barrel the threaded end sticks out 1/4”

Any ideas of suggestions please.

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,
Kyle Kalasnik

Hey Kyle.
My solution was to create a long enough attachment. To do that I took a piece of brass tubing* and threaded the inside on each end to fit the threaded end of the ram rod and the .69 caliber cleaning jag. That way when I pull the rod out from under the barrel I thread the extension on and do what needs doing.

*Think I used 3/8"OD x 1/8"ID tubing.

Hey Kyle.
My solution was to create a long enough attachment. To do that I took a piece of brass tubing* and threaded the inside on each end to fit the threaded end of the ram rod and the .69 caliber cleaning jag. That way when I pull the rod out from under the barrel I thread the extension on and do what needs doing.

*Think I used 3/8"OD x 1/8"ID tubing.

Good evening and thank you for the response.

I’m sorry I should have specified that it just seems like the ramrod is just a bit too long.

I’m also sorry, but I am confused as to what you mean about an extension piece, I don’t see why it would need an extension of brass tubing. That’s my fault not being more specific.

I am not trying to create an argument with you and I appreciate your help.

Respectfully,
Kyle Kalasnik

Good morning Potter County!
Well, Kyle, I was faced with a problem on mine and automatically interpreted your question in light of my own experience with a 1842, mine being the pieve with a 33" barrel as once produced by Armisport.

On mine the ram rod is made like the originals. There's the flared end that comes about even with the end of the barrel and there's the threaded end that gets protected from harm (down inside the hole beneath the barrel when stored away). The length of the rod is sufficient to ram home a seven or eight hundred grain minie over the powder. But it is not long enough to comfortably clean the barrel with just by threading on a jag. I wanted a little more length. Also, the commonly available attachments had male rather than female threads. So to make everything work what I did was to create a jag extension with female threads at both ends.

Good morning Potter County!
Well, Kyle, I was faced with a problem on mine and automatically interpreted your question in light of my own experience with a 1842, mine being the pieve with a 33" barrel as once produced by Armisport.

On mine the ram rod is made like the originals. There's the flared end that comes about even with the end of the barrel and there's the threaded end that gets protected from harm (down inside the hole beneath the barrel when stored away). The length of the rod is sufficient to ram home a seven or eight hundred grain minie over the powder. But it is not long enough to comfortably clean the barrel with just by threading on a jag. I wanted a little more length. Also, the commonly available attachments had male rather than female threads. So to make everything work what I did was to create a jag extension with female threads at both ends.

Thanks for the response, I understand what you did now🤦‍♂️.

I just took the barrel off, and there was some “crud” down in the very bottom of the ramrod channel. It is good to go now.

I appreciate your help on this matter. I’ll keep that little truck in mind should I ever run into a issue with a ramrod that is just a smidge too short.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back