• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod is a poor projectile

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gunsmith time.

It doesn’t make any sense to me ether but things happen.

William Alexander

I've read all of the posts and I, too, am bumfuzzled. I have never heard of a problem like this. I have only one idea for how to resolve the problem. I'm sorry, but I think it is gunsmith time.

I believe that Brokenock has the right idea. Remove the brech plug and drive ball and ramrod out from breech to muzzle. Use a brass rod if you can.

Removing the breach plug is going to likely be the best way to resolve the problem but removing a breach plug is not for someone who doesn't have the tools and knowledge to do it properly without damaging the barrel and plug. If he has the tools and knowledge to do it without damaging his barrel and plug, then I'd say go ahead and take out the breach plug and drive out the obstruction in the barrel. Think before you act.

Billnpatti said:
Think before you act.
Yessiree I wish I had.
Full disclosure:

Two years ago I commissioned my first custom build. Steve Zihn of Wyoming was very patient with me, putting it together just the way I wanted. 50" Ed Rahl tapered barrel, overall length to the curl of my bottom lip. Every little detail just right. I got my moneys worth and more.

First time at the range, standing, shooting off hand at 25 yards with 30 g ff .528 ball with patch. Hitting the bull almost consistantly. Happy as a puppy. Here is where I needed Bill in my ear. The 15th shot went thunk.

Maybe the rr came off the ball a little, so the ball slams into the iron tip and lead gets around it enough to lock it up. Shame on me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

A friend of mine accidently fired a shot with the ramrod in the barrel. It was hopelessly stuck in the bore no matter what we tried. He took it to a gunsmith who took out the breechplug and pounded out the bullet/ramrod obstruction. The part of the ramrod that was in the bore was actually compressed into a corkscrew shape by the pressure of the bullet pushing against it. He showed us the ramrod after it came out. Oddest thing I ever saw.

CO Elkeater said:
With other projects on my list, this one will take some time.

Meanwhile powder residue is eating away at your bore, even with grease in there it is still a dirty rifle.... :shake:

Colorado school of trades Gunsmithing school...Lots of aspiring gunsmiths looking for projects and challenges.....I'm guessing it's not to far from you.

CO Elkeater said:
With other projects on my list, this one will take some time.

Wait too long and you won't have to worry about the stuck ramrod because your bore will be trashed due to corrosion. I'd put this one at the front of the list if it was my gun. And with the way you described the rifle, it won't be a cheap barrel replacement. I'd go ahead and get this done, even if it means other projects have to wait a little bit longer, cause face it, if you're anything like me, the list of projects never gets shorter, or at least not for long. There's always the next "honey do", or next thing to hunt, or that job thing, or...

Thank you. I'm sure you'll be glad you did. I tried telling the same thing to a friend about a year ago, and unlike you, he didn't listen and ended up spending more for a replacement barrel than he had in the gun. And I hope I didn't come across wrong, just hate to see any one of us have regrets that could have been avoided. :hatsoff:

My friend was a lousy shot to begin with so we could never tell if it affected his accuracy after he got it out. There was apparently no bulge in the barrel......at least he never mentioned any nor could we see any.

Good news. I gave the gun to a friend who then got it to a smith. The smith called me yesterday. He cleared the bore with an aluminum tube and a long drill bit from the muzzle. In 2 spots the rifling took a little roughing while looking at it, but he can't feel anything irregular.

He said if the rr tip had been brass there would have been no problem with the removal. The steel tip and then the steel pin that he drilled thru scraped the rifling a bit on its way out. He said he would not be surprised if it shoots just as well as it had.

What a relief. No real damage to the bore. I was very concerned about removing and replacing the barrel, especially with the long thin lollipop tang. I am very fortunate. It will take a few days for it to make it's way back to me. All is well.

Back