• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dirty powder or bullet lube???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The other day shot my TC WMC . 50 and Cherokee .32 using shuetzen Ffg and Fffg respectively. Submerging the breech for cleaning in hot water i cleaned the cherokee first and didnt notice much change in the water color. Cleaning the WMC the water immediately turned a dark dingy brown with a couple strokes of the ramrod. I previously owned a .54 WMC which I used Goex ffg in but with a prb and never saw the water get that cruddy. This time around i tried hornady’s 240 gr PA conical in the 50. They shot well but im wondering if its the nasty lube caked on the bullets that made the muddy water or is shuetzen dirtier than goex? I did swab every 2 rounds and fired a total of 10 rounds in the WMC. Cleaning a filthy gun is not a big deal for me or i wouldnt shoot muzzleloaders but im curious about others experience with shuetzen powder and especially the lube that hornady uses on those conicals. Thanks for reading!

I use Scheutzen and have used other powders too and never thought clean up was much different in any. Some did foul more but I wipe between shots and when cleaning time came it didn't make much difference.

Yesterday I shot two rifles with the same loads and patch lube. I was in a hurry to pack up so i didn’t wipe one rifle after the last shot and that one made the water much blacker so it was just about that last shot.

Appreciate the response. After I posted several “similar threads” popped up which made for very interesting reading. Shuetzen made both rifles go boom so I’m satisfied

I have found that different lubes can and will foul more quickly than others. Only BP I have ever used has been Goex.

I seldom use 2F powder and prefer 3F for most guns/loads. 3F burns faster, and maybe hotter, and does seem to foul a little less than 2F. I tend to think 3F blows a bit more fouling out of the barrel than 2F.

I used 3 F in the .32 and 2 F in the 50. I plan to try 3F in the .50 as well as some 275 gr tc maxi hunters and prb. I appreciate the feedback guys

Don't get hung up on the "F" thing. I shoot black powder competition with Civil War arms and I use 3f in everything up through 69cal.

Used to have a .54 Renegade that shot RB very accurately with 3F. Only TC I have owned that would shoot a RB well with standard hunting loads. It was a kit gun.

Back