• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ramrod channel too tight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The pre-drilled ramrod hole is too tight for 3/8" rod. Besides dropping down to 5/16" rod what is a good way to enlarge the hole?

Just scrape or sand the rod down a little. Easy peasy. Standard procedure. :wink:

I've never seen a RR hole in a precarve that wasn't too tight. Why they drill a 3/8" dia. hole for a 3/8" dia ramrod has never made sense to me. It is ridiculous.....
I drilled out every single precarve stock I have bought, right off the bat. I despise tapered RR's. It is hard enough on your hand loading a tight combo, let alone using a smaller rod.

Besides the fact they intended to keep the rifle slim as they could, I also think the reason they tapered them long ago is because they didn't load tight loads, they loaded what they could Easily load. but that is just my opinion.... :idunno:

Keith Lisle

If you have a hand held electric drill with variable speed and a 1/2" chuck you can wrap the muzzle end of the ramrod and put it in the drill and then sand down the breech end. You'll have sanding marks cross wise to the grain so you'll have to finish off with some sanding by hand with the grain.
To the best of my knowledge this thinning down on the breech end of the ramrod is pc- at least in some cases.

Simple way to enlarge the hole is to get a 1/4 inch dowel rod slit one end and wrap emeroy cloth (or sand paper ) around it to build up to size and chuck the other end in a hand drill and "polish" out the hole to desired size. You can "shim" the wrap with pieces of newspaper to get a snug fit. :hmm:

Back