• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ram Rod Issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I had a dollar for every time One of them comments about my towel that I take even on Woods Walks.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Paul, I thought I was about the only guy who did that. Glad to learn there is another fellow who thinks along the same lines. :hatsoff:

The towels I use are refugees from the local thrift store, usually liberated for two bits or so apiece. They are 100% cotton, and the size I find ideal is about 15" x 24". Most of them have a non-pile "border strip" on each end and I use a permanent marker to write "SHOOTING TOWEL" on each side so it is easy for my wife to set them aside for me after they are washed.

I always have one in my belt when shooting trailwalks. There is a downside to this however. One time several years back a shooting "buddy" light-fingered the towel from my belt, tossed it downrange past the firing line, and shot it. When asked why he did it he said, "It was marked "shooting towel, so I shot it!" :haha: It was all in fun, done in complete safety, and we are still good friends.

I use the metal rods for my hunting and bench work and keep the wood rods for looks. The last thing I want is an injury of any kind in the woods and they make driving things home real easy with the end of the rod inserted into a hole in my short starter. Makes for very consistant compression as well.

I also carry a towel with me and just keep it in my right hand pocket with a fawn bleat call. I also always carry a white hankerchef in my left rear pocket. I use it to flag at deer sometimes when they bolt but are not sure why. Called em back many a time with those tail waves. Probably not the safest thing to do in some areas but do it quite often; I do wear a camo orange vest at all times even if not required. Even when centerfire hunting a towel is a nice thing to have around to keep scopes; bino's and whatever dry. It's nice for cleaning your hands after dressing a deer as well.

I just ordered one of the hollow brass, under-rifle rods from Cabin Creek. I haven't recieved it yet.

I have broken several wooden rods when I failed to use proper technique, not because I'm afraid to get my hands dirty but because I get in too big of a hurry when competing in timed events. The results have usually been a painful blood-letting. :haha:

"Pain" is Mother Natures way of telling you that you are doing something VERY WRONG! "Stupid" is doing the same thing, the same way again, and expecting a different result, NO? :hmm: :surrender: Glad to see you have ordered that new rod. :thumbsup: I would worry about you otherwise. :rotf: :shocked2:

I think you only need to practice that hand over hand method- its really quite fast when you know how to do it. And, you really won't want that new brass rod rubbing against the muzzle of your gun barrel when loading it. I think you will like the extra weight of the new rod, and how it makes running a PRB down the barrel so much easier. :hatsoff:

Agree fully with all you said Paul. :redface:

Stubborn, not too bright, possibly a little of both? Just careless when victory is close at hand perhaps. I know the hand over hand technique, just implement it poorly while competing.

And the new rod I ordered was from October Country, not Cabin Creek as stated.

Back