• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rainproof covers for matchlocks outside Japan?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brolly with a sharp point on the end! Dual purpose weapon. :)
I think it might work, but would have the opposition in fits maybe!

I do recall reading one or two accounts by western observers who remarked how "effeminate" it seemed to them that Chinese soldiers carried umbrellas. I don't know though, considering how humid and hot it gets in parts of China, an umbrella doesn't seem like the worst piece of kit to me.

And yes, I guess if you had one with a strong shaft you could turn it around for some fancy hand-to-hand combat :p

By the way, I went back and checked my sources on the Japanese weather covers. According to one source, one of the other uses those covers were intended for was to obscure the glow of the lit match during night fighting.

I think many carried a short match piece, easily removed and stored, burning still. Early samurai had assistants to carry out such tasks, all they had to do was ask for the still lit match cord, insert and fire. Later, how the large groups keep their match cord dry is a guess, but they made it work apparently.
My japanese matchlock which is for sale or partial trade has the cover spoken of before. Standard issue on the better guns....for samurai, not the peasant shooters...of mass shooters. The monks made the best guns anyway, might ought to see how they handled that matter!

Attachments

• 20190201_094654_resized.jpg
    20190201_094654_resized.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 82
I think many carried a short match piece, easily removed and stored, burning still.

I've seen reference to that method used for pistols. Hadn't heard of it used for long-guns though. Most illustrations/texts I came across indicated that match cord was coiled around the stock. But then again, that was mostly in reference to footsoldiers.

So far, I have not seen Japanese examples of the "pouches" that were attached to the gun stocks in China to store the cord.

I remember seeing that artist illustration before, and wondered what the boxes were for. Now I know.
Another cleaver, interesting feature with these matchlocks. A couple additional interesting features of these guns:
The entire gun is built/assembled without the use of a single screw (except the long threaded breech plug).
Apparently, the design of the front and rear sights on the barrel allowed the use of different sight pieces depending on the anticipated range.

Rick

Latest posts

Back