• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The anti-seize is a cream consistency, non-petroleum with suspended metal particles. I've used it for years and never had an issue with it in dry weather. The musket caps are no slit or slotted, it is a solid top-hat that should have helped keep water out of the actual peg. The only place water is likely is where the pegs thread into the breach. I thought the anti-seize might help to an extent but alas it did not. I do not upland hunt in rain often, but this was a trip a long way from home and it was 70-degrees and hardly any wind - not the freezing rain scenario someone mentioned. I have real pure bear grease. I also have waxes. Both sound logical. Next time I will put a dab of bear grease around the base of the peg and over the whole capped peg as well. I'll also experiment with putting wax around the base of the peg either on my second gun or on another rainy day. There are times when I have too much invested to sit in the truck or camper and am willing to take a chance in the field, wet or not.
If I recall correctly, you're hunting over a pretty solid pointing pup. The cows knee suggestion seems like a good one. Combine it with something better to seal the threads on the "pegs" and you should be able to pull the knee off when the dog gets birdy or goes on point enabling you to make the shot at the flush.

Another option, that might be good for the your person as well, would be a rain poncho,,, wear it over your bag and horn and keep the gun under it until the dog show interest or points.

The poncho idea though... you can run a slit up the middle.. kinda work out like a cape. Trench coat

I spend a little more not allot.. to get a thicker material military size style

Lol only problem with a trench coat is... what hat would you wear? You can even stick a Pheasant tail feather in there.

Other than that everything under the coat. That Pheasant he won't know what hit him.

Pegs!??
Nipples, always have been and always will be nipples.
Like when you grease your truck, the grease gun goes on the grease nipples, not a grease peg 🤷
My Mrs uses pegs to hang the washing out!
There is conservative and then there is freaking conservative!
The original Purdey manual for this pair of guns specifically refers to the “nipples” as “pegs”, so therefore in these guns they remain as the maker has stated.

If your using wax and stuff to just seal off those nipples...

is like playdoe.

Attachments

• 1696555402203.png
    1696555402203.png
    685.8 KB · Views: 0
Roll a little in your hand then wrap around the nipple.. push smudge it sealed around it sticks good and comes off nice..

You could I guess... make a small pann cake.. cover the whole nipple smudge it around and expose the cap top...

The original Purdey manual for this pair of guns specifically refers to the “nipples” as “pegs”, so therefore in these guns they remain as the maker has stated.
So on your other percussion guns you call them nipples?

If ever I'm in London, which I doubt, vile place, I'll go in Purdy's shop and ask if they have any " pegs" for my shotgun.
I can see their faces now.....

Oh and by the way, the nipples don't seal via the threads. They should seat on the flat face sufficient enough to keep water out. The threads pull the faces together.
The surfaces may need freshening up.

Best wishes

Not a fan of ponchos. Admittedly, my prejudice is based on US Army issue CA 1966-72. Noisy. Uncomfortable in hot weather. Louder in rain than a tin roof.
Give me Goretex rain wear with a soft, quiet outer fabric. I buy it big enough that I can wear warm wool under if need be. Is the gun out in the weather? Yes. That is one of the reasons for the wood and metal finishes. And nothing that prompt care at the end of the day will not take care of.
A post script about wool: It can still keep you warm when wet. Down and modern miracle insulators not so much so.
Dressed as described I managed to walk up on a dozen deer bedded down in a small clearing in the rain.
And a post script about rain: I bitched about a road march in steady rain during Basic Training. The DI asked if I had ever been wet before. I allowed that I had. He asked if I got dry again. I said yes. He said "Shut up and keep walking".

Last edited:
So on your other percussion guns you call them nipples?

If ever I'm in London, which I doubt, vile place, I'll go in Purdy's shop and ask if they have any " pegs" for my shotgun.
I can see their faces now.....

Oh and by the way, the nipples don't seal via the threads. They should seat on the flat face sufficient enough to keep water out. The threads pull the faces together.
The surfaces may need freshening up.

Best wishes

Attachments

• IMG_9215.jpeg
    IMG_9215.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
And a "silencer" should only be referred to as a "suppressor". Only problem is that the inventor, Hiram Maxim (of machinegun fame) called it a "silencer".
I'll give you the map/chart thing, but it's a petty, dick move to call someone out on it.
"There's right and there's right and never the t'wain shall meet." - H.I. McDonnough

The direct transposition of the ledger entry that was sent by Purdey in a letter shows my gun was sold with 2 extra "pegs". My pair was sold with 7 new pegs.

The first reference to "nipples" I find is an advertisement from Joyce's that reads in part: We offer bullet moulds, wadding punches, turnscrews, lock vices, and nipples made to receive #24 caps. #24 caps are readily available in the London store and the North-West Province, Bengal, India outpost. 28 MAR 1862.

Maybe Joyce's first used the word "nipple" or maybe it began use around 1862. My Manton book refers to "Pegs" as he was around until 1835.

Accordingly, I've always referred to the part as the Maker referred to it for the guns vintage.

Latest posts

Back