• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

R Southgate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Route66

32 Cal
Reaction score
Greetings, I recently acquired a R Southgate Flintlock #208. It is in pristine condition. Just started to research and it appears to have been made in 1952. I’m trying to determine the value and collectability. If anyone can help with this I would greatly appreciate assistance. I’m in Ohio and I had a local Muzzelloader shop (The Log Cabin) look it over. They also agreed that the barrel and overall gun was in great shape.

Thx.

BigMike

Attachments

• 0F11E28C-DD0D-40AA-BD98-0E58480B1F09.jpeg
    0F11E28C-DD0D-40AA-BD98-0E58480B1F09.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 203
Very few makers of the revival period (no offense to those who say the craft never died) are collectible. Hacker Martin comes to mind as one. R Southgate was well known. It would be a cool gun for someone interested in collecting “contemporary” flintlocks to have. It might do best with collectors from his geographic area. One sold 2 years ago for about $700. Contemporary Flintlock Rifle by Royland Southgate

Looks like Rock Island puts Southgate's stuff at between $800 and $1300. Contemporary riflesmiths of the early new school are especially hard to value(unless the "other" NRA picked them to make rifles for movie stars). Not to take anything away from the older guys. They may be the only reason any of us still know what any sort of longrifle looks and feels like.

Royland Southgate Information Clearinghouse. | Facebook
Hello all! Check this page out. I am trying to warehouse as much Royland Southgate info as possible. I would prefer it be a clearing house of pictures, data, and locations. I have 4 of Southgate's rifles. I would have 40 if I wanted to be single....Anyway, I would much appreciate anyone with a Southgate, drop by with a few pics, details, serial #, signatures pics, and general location.

Looks like Rock Island puts Southgate's stuff at between $800 and $1300. Contemporary riflesmiths of the early new school are especially hard to value(unless the "other" NRA picked them to make rifles for movie stars). Not to take anything away from the older guys. They may be the only reason any of us still know what any sort of longrifle looks and feels like.

The Rock Island Auction gun sold for over $900 but under $1000. He did make a few fancy rifles that will bring more but the $1000 or slightly under is normal for his average rifle . He built a lot of plain rifles because his price would now be considered dirt cheap but was not then . Most people just ordered a basic rifle with maybe a few small inlays and basic incised carving .

I have my dads unnumbered but marked rifle that he made for him for Christmas in 1948 , an Allen Box Lock rifle that he built dad a target rifle out of and the two saw handle target pistols he built for my pap who was his brother . The pistols were made in 1953 and 1958 but I'm not where I can get the numbers right now .

Under $1000 , it's fair priced and should sell . I'd buy it myself but I just retired and haven't started my play money retirement job yet . I looked for one for years but the two I was able to find for sale were both left handed and I shoot right hand/ left eye dominant .

Eddie Southgate

I saw some other pictures you posted of this rifle . The wood does not appear to have any stripe in the grain which would help the value a bit . If I were looking at this to buy I wouldn't want to give more than $700 if the bore was in excellent shape . Found one old completed auction for one today that sold for less than $400 and another in the $700 range including buyers premium . Hi rifles were very accurate because he made a great barrel but his style of rifle is not in high demand now like it was when he was building them .

Eddie

I thanks for sharing. I think I’m in the right ballpark based on these couple you showed. The stock on this gun is in great shape comparatively and the barrel while not perfect I’m thinking that someone who really knows how to clean it can make it look better

is it possible to actually speak on the phone?

Back