• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early Pennsylvania Smoothbores

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, gang. I’m getting ready to start a build and looking for some additional images to assist. BJ and Dave Person have been extremely helpful with advice, and BJ has offered to mentor me through the build. (BJ, I owe you a call. Got back to work and immediately started working 6 day weeks…)

After waffling back and forth on a c.1750s build, I’ve settled on a Pennsylvania-built smoothbore gun. Not a smoothrifle, but a Fowler. I’m hoping the collected wisdom can assist with some images or other research on these guns to solidify the stock architecture from the 1750s. I’ve tracked down many later guns, but as with rifles, the early stuff is scarce. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

R

If I understand your question . . . . The Jim Chambers Pennnsylvania Fowler is one you might want to look at . . I think it is modeled around 1760-1770, but his web page says. Hatchet Jack on this sight has a amazing one, but here is a pic of mine . . I need to take better pics of it. . . and it's left handed.
IMG_2266.JPG
IMG_2267.JPG
IMG_3405.jpg

In Bob Lienemann’s book on Moravian guns of the Revolutionary War there’s a couple big smoothbores that closely resembles the Marshall rifle in overall architecture. Those are what I’d research. One is called the Pike gun. Some of the buttstock was scabbed off during its working life.

If I understand your question . . . . The Jim Chambers Pennnsylvania Fowler is one you might want to look at . . I think it is modeled around 1760-1770, but his web page says. Hatchet Jack on this sight has a amazing one, but here is a pic of mine . . I need to take better pics of it. . . and it's left handed. View attachment 155661View attachment 155662View attachment 155663
Lovely piece, Mac! I guess I should have been more clear… I’m building from a plank rather than a kit and I’m researching extant examples to get a sense of stock architecture style.

In Bob Lienemann’s book on Moravian guns of the Revolutionary War there’s a couple big smoothbores that closely resembles the Marshall rifle in overall architecture. Those are what I’d research. One is called the Pike gun. Some of the buttstock was scabbed off during its working life.
Thanks, Rich! Of course I only own the second book! Do these smoothbores have a cheekrest and rifle trigger guard as a smoothrifle, or are they Marshall-esq stocks with Fowler guard and round toe?

Lovely piece, Mac! I guess I should have been more clear… I’m building from a plank rather than a kit and I’m researching extant examples to get a sense of stock architecture style.

Thanks, Rich! Of course I only own the second book! Do these smoothbores have a cheekrest and rifle trigger guard as a smoothrifle, or are they Marshall-esq stocks with Fowler guard and round toe?
I’m traveling. When I get home I’ll be able to answer your questions. I think it’s book 2.

Back