• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Questions after range day

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have used bronze brushes for 50+ yrs.. If one sticks , it's likely too big of diam. for the bore. If one breaks loose from the threaded end all you need is a cork screw jag used to pull shotgun wads. I don't understand all the verbage about stuck brushes. When inserting a brush , never turn the rod to the left as that unscrews the brush from the rod. Cummon guys , basic mechanics here. I have an 83 yr. old neighbor that shoots his flinter frequenty. The only tool in his tool box , is his check book. Finally got him a CO2 ball discharger , that has kept him in business w/o me getting involved , though when he shows up , . it's fun.

Really?

I dont use brushes because they are not needed. i only shoot patched round balls. Maybe if i had different guns and shot lead conicals they might be useful.

Well, there you have it ⬆️ folks.....
I guess your sidelocks better not either. Other wise it's now officially sure to get stuck, then your next 3 generations of offspring will have webbed fingers and toes, your garden won't grow, your bird dog will loose it's sense of smell and become gun-shy, and there will be national memorial statues of you all over the country and pictures in schools showing the guy who tried a brush in his sidelong and ruined America and his family lineage.

Really?

I dont use brushes because they are not needed. i only shoot patched round balls. Maybe if i had different guns and shot lead conicals they might be useful.
Might want to check the groove corners of your barrel with a bore scope to make sure they are clear of fouling or corrosion. This assuming your not using round groove rifling.

I guess your sidelocks better not either. Other wise it's now officially sure to get stuck, then your next 3 generations of offspring will have webbed fingers and toes, your garden won't grow, your bird dog will loose it's sense of smell and become gun-shy, and there will be national memorial statues of you all over the country and pictures in schools showing the guy who tried a brush in his sidelock and ruined America and his family lineage.

Had to make a space for a special triple like.

🤣 🤣 🤣

A jag will turn inside the cleaning patch and does not clean the breech face. I use a modern (aaack!) looped cleaning attachment like the ones that come with a pistol/rifle cleaning kit. Put a big patch in the loop then double or triple the thickness before starting it in. When it bottoms out, twist away and the patch turns against the breech face. Use a scraper at the end of the day. Ain't I smart?

Thanks guys. I had never seen the red stuff in the pan. I thought the wet stuff was because of temperature in the 30's.
I was cleaning between every shot and wondering about the thick chunky stuff on my patches. Ordering a brass cleaning brush.
For what it's worth I've even seen small, red particles...

LD

I guess your sidelocks better not either. Other wise it's now officially sure to get stuck, then your next 3 generations of offspring will have webbed fingers and toes, your garden won't grow, your bird dog will loose it's sense of smell and become gun-shy, and there will be national memorial statues of you all over the country and pictures in schools showing the guy who tried a brush in his sidelock and ruined America and his family lineage.
Wait a minute buster! I used a brush for years and it made my teeth pearly, my hair curly, and my wife said childbearing became a pleasure!! Truth!

Having become a convert to tow for cleaning, I have found it simplifies the whole process, including keeping the breech face clean. Although I don't have anything with a patent breech that I shoot, I suspect it may also be the solution for cleaning the recess in those.
Does anyone have an answer?

We used to have a fine gentleman here who made fantastic Bucks County guns. @Flehto I think, but could be wrong.... Anyway, rather than damp wipe and risk dampening his charge for the next shot, he would use a brush,,,,, but with the gun hung/held muzzle down, so this amazing thing called gravity removed the debris that the brush broke loose for him.
Trying to get this picture in my head. Holding a muzzleloader with the muzzle pointing down and running a brush. Is there a sky hook out there somewhere?

Trying to get this picture in my head. Holding a muzzleloader with the muzzle pointing down and running a brush. Is there a sky hook out there somewhere?
I think he had one of those rubber coated forked hangers for hanging, tools that screws into a rafter or stud, installed at his range. Might have just held it in his hand though....

Last edited:
Wait a minute buster! I used a brush for years and it made my teeth pearly, my hair curly, and my wife said childbearing became a pleasure!! Truth!
Well, according to Ben Meyer, his have never seen a brush and never will, so given his definitive statement of fact and his exalted status, I am figuring no one else should even try. Maybe reach out to him by pm, or any other member of the elite, to find out what acts of contrition you need to perform.

A jag will turn inside the cleaning patch and does not clean the breech face.....
Not if you file a couple small triangular notches in the edge corner...
20200521_193813.jpg

You can kind of see it here,,, I thought I had a better picture but can't find it...
You want the flat edge of the triangle to face the direction you will twist the rod (I think this changes depending on northern or southern hemisphere 😉)

View attachment 282772
You can kind of see it here,,, I thought I had a better picture but can't find it...
You want the flat edge of the triangle to face the direction you will twist the rod (I think this changes depending on northern or southern hemisphere 😉)
A new (to me) idea. Thanks! For sure you will want the triangles to cause the jag to tighten on the rod threads.

View attachment 282772
Well, there’s a clever lad!

My statement IS definitive......for MY particular guns. I made no statement on what others should or shouldn't do, and no it wasn't inferred.

And by the way Brokennock, youre being a dick to me for no good reason. Nobody likes a dick.

Well, according to Ben Meyer, his have never seen a brush and never will, so given his definitive statement of fact and his exalted status, I am figuring no one else should even try. Maybe reach out to him by pm, or any other member of the elite, to find out what acts of contrition you need to perform.

I sometimes see 'blood in the barrel' on damp days. Usually regarded as an indicator that all is working well. Someone previously said it is some kind of Sulphur compound. Sometimes appears as droplets at the muzzle. I have never noticed it in the pan

I've always heard it called "Dragon's blood" and indicated near perfect ignition. I've never had any issues when present.
Good luck, Shoot straight and God bless,
Rodd

I've seen it occasionally but then again other times using the same load and components it's not there. I think it's weather dependent.

A jag will turn inside the cleaning patch and does not clean the breech face. I use a modern (aaack!) looped cleaning attachment like the ones that come with a pistol/rifle cleaning kit. Put a big patch in the loop then double or triple the thickness before starting it in. When it bottoms out, twist away and the patch turns against the breech face. Use a scraper at the end of the day. Ain't I smart?
sounds good

Latest posts

Back