• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question re: Left-handed Flash Hider

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keyhole

45, 50, 69, 75
Reaction score
I shoot left-handed and I need a flash hider to shoot in some tournaments and meets. It seems that I'll need to make one since there are none for sale.

I have Jim Chamber's large Siler locks on my rifles, they shoot great and are easy on flints. Do you think I could get away with using the screw head that holds my frizzen spring to mount a thin copper flash hider? I'm wondering if this would somehow mess up timing of my lock...

11111.jpg
22222.jpg

Last edited:
I'm very curious to see how this goes for you. I have a left handed gun and shoot right handed, so I may do something like this myself.

I admire those who are 'do it yerself' people. 👍 Be sure to show us yer final results. I'm sure it will be just fine.

I'm very curious to see how this goes for you. I have a left handed gun and shoot right handed, so I may do something like this myself.

Thanks guys. I’m not very experienced with such things but I decided to give it a try out of necessity. Will keep you posted…

Any thoughts on whether I should polish it or leave it with the patina?

Thanks guys. I’m not very experienced with such things but I decided to give it a try out of necessity. Will keep you posted…

Any thoughts on whether I should polish it or leave it with the patina?
I would try to roughly match the patina of the rifle it is going on.

It’s called a Flash Guard. A thin piece of brass will just bend at the first discharge probably. It needs to be stout enough.

yep, flash guard.
Using copper for my first try. The ones on my other rifles are thick brass and work great

I had a home made flash guard blow out on me... straightened right out! Heavier brass is better. Also, try to create a second attachment point. This is required now by reenactment groups.
Yeah it’s pretty tough to mount anything on this particular lock (see post #1). I may just use something else for the tournaments that require it. Thankfully I shoot percussion weapons for reenactment stuff.

It was much easier to mount the heavy brass flash guard on my wife’s Bess
IMG_6412.jpeg

IMG_6439.jpeg

Back