Question on Shaping Trigger Guards

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Valkyrie

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I would suggest making a chisel the same width as the tg tenons or make the tenons no thinner than your chisel

I didn’t think of that. What could I use to make a chisel? Old center punch or something?

oldwood

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
For years I've been using a commercial made trigger guard vise that attaches to the tangs on a guard. The tangs can't be more than 1'8" or they won't go into the tg/vise. If you're only going to build a couple guns , just hold each tang in a small vise while filing the guard. In reality , the tabs won't be seen on the finished gun...........oldwood

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
it is surprising how much clean up the cast parts need.
looks good, the only thing, if it were me i would thin the guard down more. it still looks a bit fat, but that is what i see in the photos. i don't know what it actually looks like.
ou

Valkyrie

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I use whatever. Currently find concrete nails work. Anneal, shape, harden, sharpen and go.
An old hacksaw blade also works.
Bought a 2mm hobby chisel off ebay which is copping a workout.
it is surprising how much clean up the cast parts need.
looks good, the only thing, if it were me i would thin the guard down more. it still looks a bit fat, but that is what i see in the photos. i don't know what it actually looks like.
ou

Thin in which dimension?

Valkyrie

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I would suggest making a chisel the same width as the tg tenons or make the tenons no thinner than your chisel
I have a 4mm Pfeil chisel. The tenons are just slightly thicker than that so I think I will use that as a thickness guide.

oldwood

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
'bout once a year , I get disgusted w/all the crap on my bench. I put it all in a cardboard box , sort the usable tools out , and the rest goes into the punishment area. If I really, really , need something , I Might look into the punishment area or might not. ........