• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question on lanyard-firing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tower75

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I was wondering if I can ask a question.

Cannons from around 1850-odd to the time of breech-loading were fired with a lanyard, correct?

I know BLs are fired with a lanyard - but they use centre-fire ammunition :wink:

Does anyone know, and would you mind explaining how one of these lanyard-fired devices worked? I'm not even sure if it was one design or many. I've read somewhere that they were "friction fuses"?

It's something I always wanted to know, but could never find the answer to.

Kind regards
T

By late 18th or early 19th (Napoleonic era) the French and British were using large flintlocks on at least some cannon.

I recall reading long ago about the friction igniters and how they worked. However, my memory is not what it used to be -- I can recall none of the details :idunno:

Hello Tower 75
Muzzle loading cannon fired with a lanyard use a friction primer.
The friction primer is a small copper tube closed on the top end. It has a wire running through the closed end that extends about half way down inside the tube.
The tube has fulminated mercury in the top end and a small charge of black powder in the bottom end.
You hook the lanard to a loop on the top of the wire after the primer is in the vent.
When the lanyard is pulled it rips the wire through the fuminate igniting it, which ignites the black powder sending a jet of hot gas down the vent igniting the main charge in the barrel.

SC45-70

Hi.

Many thanks. I've been trying to get the answer to that for ages. :grin:

Back