• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question on bullet blocks.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtbugle

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I'm trying my hand at drilling some holes in 1X2 and 1X3 boards for 50 and 54 cal. bullet blocks. I see prb fitting nicely, but wonder if my conical bullets will/ should stay put in these?

Some of what holds it in is the friction of the patch to the wood. A stiff lube in a maxi type conical May do the job, but you might been a slightly smaller hole

The fit won't resize lead unless it is so tight you have to drive the bullet into the block.

I suspect if you had just the right drill size it would work just fine, the down side is the blocks tend to absorb and dry out the lube if you leave them loaded for a month or so.

I'm trying my hand at drilling some holes in 1X2 and 1X3 boards for 50 and 54 cal. bullet blocks. I see prb fitting nicely, but wonder if my conical bullets will/ should stay put in these?
You will have to experiment with drill sizes to suit what you want. When I make blocks I sand the hole and then rub with beeswax.

You will have to experiment with drill sizes to suit what you want. When I make blocks I sand the hole and then rub with beeswax.
Great helpful feedback. I think my 50 block using half inch drill bit. Came out about.504 inch. Built 54 by using dremel tool sander after half inch drill. So not as consistent sized holes.
My lube is 50/50 bees wax and peanut oil. I suppose the block would eventually stop drying it out to much.
I did put a coat of danish oil including in the holes.

I have seen bows with a beeswax finish where they rubbed beeswax on the bow and heated with a heat gun it to get it to soak in the wood until the wood wouldn't absorb anymore, this made for a finish that looked like Tru-oil.

You could speed up the wood sealing inside your holes by doing the same.

I have seen bows with a beeswax finish where they rubbed beeswax on the bow and heated with a heat gun it to get it to soak in the wood until the wood wouldn't absorb anymore, this made for a finish that looked like Tru-oil.

You could speed up the wood sealing inside your holes by doing the same.
A little heat sounds like a great idea.

Back