• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question on barrel during build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjarard

36 Cl.
Reaction score
IMG_0739.jpg
IMG_0740.jpg

Couple of questions about the barrel. During the build there seems to be some sort of router used to rout out the lock. It has put a nice gouge in the barrel near the bottom octagonal below the touch hole. Too deep to draw file IMO. Can I just fill this in with some low-temp silver solder then file flat, or is applying any heat to the barrel near the breach end dangerous. You can't see the gouge but I'm anal and like things clean.

2nd question...does everyone slot their lug holes to allow for expansion of the wood? If so, do you also either make the lug slightly smaller in the mortice or make the mortice slightly larger to also allow for expansion. Right now, everything is in very tight.

Hi,
I would file off as much as I could without making a noticeable depression and leave it. If you fill it with solder, it will not brown or blue and will be a different color even when left bright. You can allow your lug mortices to have a little extra space for movement. You mention being anal, probably in a machinist sort of way, so let me give you some advice from someone who builds many guns meant to look like originals rather than modern fantasies. That tight precision will drive you nuts later on when you stain and finish the stock and the wood swells. I don't mean it is OK to do sloppy work but you have to allow for wood to swell and the fact that you will be installing an removing parts frequently during the process. When the fit is really tight you risk chipping the edges of the mortices every time you remove a part. I judge the right fit when a part can be pressed into a mortice with light finger pressure and stays put. If I have to tap it in with a hammer, I know it will not go in after stain and finish are applied and I will be scraping away that "precision".

dave

Dave Person is exactly right. It would take a welder to fill in that gouge. I would leave it alone. Make the hole in the barrel lug a bit longer and give it some room to move in the stock. Where I live the stock will get about 1/16 inch shorter from summer to winter with change in humidity.

I always made sure the lugs were at least a little slotted in the rifles I have. Most came very well slotted and needed no further attention. I may be incorrect here, but my thinking is that it doesn't take that much of a slot to function as intended.

There's no danger in soldering a barrel. The temperatures involved are too low to effect the steel. That said, if the barrel is going to be browned or blued, the solder won't change color so it will stick out like a sore thumb.

As for the underlugs on the barrel, yes, I elongate the hole in them to allow for the expansion/contraction of the wood and the barrel. The mortise for the lugs should have clearance on the ends to allow the underlug to move forward and aft.

There is alternatives to soldier that comes in a plastic form and will blend sort of with blue and brown. I have used liquid steel, mixed with steel filings, dress it down. The filings will take: maybe enough finish to be acceptable. Not sure how anal you are.
The lugs have to have room to move forward and backwards, mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
Back