• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about horn stopper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don hepler

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I received a horn for Christmas, made by my son-in-laws brother. This was his first attempt at making a horn. The stopper is made from deer antler, and has little or no taper. Due to shrinking or the horn expanding, the stopper is loose in the horn. Is the horn and stopper, usually tapered? Would deer antler be acceptable as stopper material? Earlier today, I posted a picture of the horn, in Photo section. (Christmas horn and bag).

I find antler works good as a mesure, neddles, and hooks. I have never made an antler handled knife but seen a few. In general I find antler make shift an not verry useful in 'working' situations.

I have to admit, that I have been shooting flintlocks for 3 or 4 years, and never used a traditional bag or horn. It's one of those things I wanted, but put all my efforts into shooting and working up loads, etc. I never really liked the big box store horns, and had planned to make one myself. But, before I got the chance, the perfect horn showed up, as a gift. How he made it to the level that he did, amazed me. He said that I would have to make a stopper. Do I need to taper the inside of the horn? Is there a particular wood that is preferred? Maybe I'm over thinking the process, but from a safety stand-point, I don't want powder spilling out. Also when I blow into the horn, a tiny amount of air is escaping.

The air leak can be fixed with bees wax. warm it enough to get soft and rub it in to the wood horn joint. It will fill any crack and stay hard when cooled down. Even summer weather wont soften it unless you hang it in direct sun light. That could crak your horn any way.
Hicory, cheery or oak can be sanded or sahved down to size. A hard wood dowle from the hardware store will work if you buy it oversize and sand to fit. Wax on it will make a good finish for it. You can get a contrsting color wood nob and drill a hole in it to stick your dowle. You could even fit it in to the top end of your antler stopper for sentiments sake . Cut your top end to a pleasing natural shape. Old horns could be very fancy..or very plain and crude. Make it to fit your own minds eye vision and convinince of use. It wont be your only horn.

Would deer antler be acceptable as stopper material?

Not only no, but H--- NO!
Antler does not compress and is near impossible to get a snug fit with in a horn. Forcing to get tight may (eventually WILL) split your horn. :shocked2:
Just use wood. Almost any kind is fine, whittle a little taper and yer in business.

If you're bent on using antler, use a wood peg, with an antler finial. Best of both worlds. Wood is the best stopper material for a friction fit. :thumbsup:

wood stopper all the way, taper fit to the horn. think of it this way: The horn is airtight 'cept two places; the Base and the spout, well the base -properly done- is taken care of, the spout, well, it needs to be removeable, but still absorb any possible moisture that the horn comes in contact with. Horn, Bone, Antler, etc., ain't gonna do that! :wink: so wood. why Tapered? because when that wood expands, if it is tappered will still only have a certain amount of true "contact" break that contact and it will come out easily, without the taper it is full contact throughout! that wood expands and then your stuck (as is the plug!) don't ask How I know that one! ( :doh: :redface: :shake: )

Back