• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about cold browning in low humidity

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAHUNTER60

40 Cal
Reaction score
I know the Laurel Mountain product says the higher the humidity, the better the solution works to brown the barrel. The problem is we're a ways away from those hot, humid days here in the southern mountains, and I'd love to get this project finished asap.

It just so happens that I have a bathroom with a long vanity and shower in my basement that seldom gets used. What if I cover my vanity with polyethelene, apply the product propped up on wooden blocks, and run the hot water in the shower for a few minutes to steam up the bathroom, seal up the room and let her be for three hours. You reckon this would produce an atmosphere conducent to the product doing its thang? (Or course, it goes without saying that my wife can not know about about this -- EVER!. Fortunately, the basement is pretty much my domain and she only ventures down there when company is coming in order to scope things out)

You think one dose of steam would be enough to complete the job? Two? More?

Thanks.

As to using your bathroom to adjust humidity would work but controlling the level and duration would be the only question. I suppose some testing with a Kestral Weather
(Or the equivalent) meter could help in this respect.

I know the Laurel Mountain product says the higher the humidity, the better the solution works to brown the barrel. The problem is we're a ways away from those hot, humid days here in the southern mountains, and I'd love to get this project finished asap.

It just so happens that I have a bathroom with a long vanity and shower in my basement that seldom gets used. What if I cover my vanity with polyethelene, apply the product propped up on wooden blocks, and run the hot water in the shower for a few minutes to steam up the bathroom, seal up the room and let her be for three hours. You reckon this would produce an atmosphere conducent to the product doing its thang? (Or course, it goes without saying that my wife can not know about about this -- EVER!. Fortunately, the basement is pretty much my domain and she only ventures down there when company is coming in order to scope things out)

Thanks.
I sorta asked that question a while back and was told you can very easily overdo it using a shower/bath to provide the humidity. I was also told some do it that way and have no problems. I think using a small (one room) humidifier in the bathroom or a closet allows you to control the humidity a little better.

Anyway to get humidity always helps. One or two doses of steam will not stay constant and dissipate. If you don't want to make a humidity chamber. (lots of ways to do that and economical) Place your barrel coated with LM over a pan of water. Then cover just the barrel and pan with moist cloth. Bath towels work well. Make sure nothing touches the barrel or drips on to it.
A better way is to make a humidity chamber with light bulb heat under a pan of water. The barrel will rust without humidity, but moist air hurrys the process.

I've used the product a lot over the years since that's the only solution that can be mailed to Alaska. What will be a simpler method for you is to build a humidity box out of 1x6 boards or scrap plywood or anything similar. I have a 36" model for short barrels and small parts and a 48" model for long barrels. Drill some holes through the box sides to run some dowels through to suspend the barrel and parts. Line the bottom with old towels and keep them wet. In the winter I set the box next to the woodstove. In the summer it's warm enough. Remember to use as little of the solution as possible and never rub it on. I use a lint free piece of cotton. I wet the cotton hours before I start the process and store it in a baggie. This spreads the solution evenly in the cotton. I store the cotton in the baggie between coats adding just a little if it gets too dry. It's interesting that the topic comes up now. I'm in Arizona, humidity 16%, and am headed to Home Depot this morning to get the parts to build a box to brown the barrel on the smoothbore I'm building.

I have to wait for the hot summer days to use my van as a hot box. Here is Missouri we have sufficient humidity. I made several racks to hold the barrel. On hot days it gets to close to 140 degrees in the van and the browning is fast and dark.

My humidity chamber is a piece of PVC pipe with wooden plugs fitted on the ends. I cut an access door down its length that is hinged with duct tape. It lays flat and horizontal with damp paper towels on the bottom. The barrel rests on on a block of wood placed at either end, one under the tang the other under a dowel in the muzzle. In summer I can place this outside in the sun for warmth, in the winter it goes next to the wood stove.

I turned the shower on for as long as it took to wipe the barrel down with LMF. Turned off the shower and hung the barrel from the shower rod closed the door and let it hang for 3 hrs. Repeated 6 times I had a nice brown barrel. It is that easy.

Wakegon bay made a similar product. I browned my first barrel in dry southren California. I didn’t use any means of humidity enhancer. The product was once a day for fou days to a week, took me almost two weeks. The solution will brown fine in low humidity just takes a little longer. Be sure to wipe in one direction and only one wipe or it produces a coppery color.
With LM I’ve got good browns with it just in my house in Missouri in three days.

Thanks.
Both rifles here have Green Mt barrels, same 240 grit polish, same Laurel Mt solution. The fine grain ’glossy’ look on light maple long rifle was done in winter when it was 50 degrees, 30% humidity. It took 11 coates, 3 days between 0000 steel wool brushes. The half stock was done in July, temp in mid 80s, humidity 70% or higher. Took 6 coates, very agressive, produced almost a semi-matte finish. Just to show how critical temp and humidity are. LMF browning stuff is outstanding.
8D6B0F47-7B22-4349-B1F1-F6B5226B3532.jpeg
D51CAA42-BF6D-452A-8C48-292540C7E0BC.jpeg

My humidity box is just an old army surplus ammunition crate. I just hang the barrel in it and hang a wet rag on each side of the box. Works great and often I do 2 cycles a day and it is not high humidity where I am.

I’ve had good luck making a tent or tipi with a cheap blue poly tarp, throw the barrel under and a humidifier.

Back