• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning Gents. Here I am with another question. As some of you may know, I have just recently started shooting my GPR after a rather long period and I got the bug again real bad. My question is, because real BP is so aggravating and expensive to acquire, and I am down to about a half pound, I am considering trying Pyrodex. I have never used it before so I need advice as to which grade to use. I understand that P grade is the equivalent to 3F which is what I now shoot and the R grade is 2F. Now, is it safe to use P in my .50 cal or do I need to use the R grade. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks and blessings TDP

Good morning Gents. Here I am with another question. As some of you may know, I have just recently started shooting my GPR after a rather long period and I got the bug again real bad. My question is, because real BP is so aggravating and expensive to acquire, and I am down to about a half pound, I am considering trying Pyrodex. I have never used it before so I need advice as to which grade to use. I understand that P grade is the equivalent to 3F which is what I now shoot and the R grade is 2F. Now, is it safe to use P in my .50 cal or do I need to use the R grade. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks and blessings TDP
Come over to marietta, deer creek gun shop has real black goex. bass pro and cabelas (maybe) have real black. Deer creek is family owned amd been in the same locqtion for 40 years. Specialize in bp related stuff.

The corrosiveness of Pyrodex fouling is very well documented. While the fouling is not apparent while shooting, the effects of the fouling is very apparent is rigorous cleaning practices are not followed. Pyrodex is indeed safe to shoot in a cap lock if using a volume measure for loading. Triple Seven is also safe and perhaps a bit less aggressive on the fouling side than Pyrodex. Black powder would be preferred even though the fouling while shooting can be pretty sooty.

Always use volumetric measures to measure a charge for your muzzle loading firearm.

Come over to marietta, deer creek gun shop has real black goex. bass pro and cabelas (maybe) have real black. Deer creek is family owned amd been in the same locqtion for 40 years. Specialize in bp related stuff.
Yes sir, Thats where I usually get my powder but a friend went up a little while ago and told me they were out until hunting season, which is not that long away, but Deer creek is about a 3 to 4 hour round trip. I was really just thinking about alternatives. Bu I think I will wate a while. Thanks to all Blessings TDP

Hodgdon has priced Goex and Pyrodex comparably. So if the price difference is significant then you should be looking elsewhere for your powder.

I recommend P for 50 cal and a hot-shot or spitfire nipple.
Because Pryrodex contains chlorates, you can't skimp or be lazy about cleaning.

Been using Pyrodex"P" for bunches of years. Yes you do a very complete cleaning and light oil or heavy for storage. But wouldn't you do that regardless of what you use? A good swabbing with soapy water after shooting and leave it real wet for the trip home to finish that complete cleaning. Would do that regardless of which powder I used. Treat them all as corrosive and clean accordingly.

Pyrodex is rust in a bottle. The residue is corrosive much more than real Gun Powder which is what God caused to be made for use in our guns.
I am a Gun Powder user, but do shoot American Pioneer Powder (Black MZ) on occasion. Volume for volume it gives good results, is easy to clean and is a different chemistry that the "P" stuff. It does not contain Perchlorates the source of corrosive residue.
However do what you what, it is your gun.
Cordially
Bunk

Hodgdon has priced Goex and Pyrodex comparably. So if the price difference is significant then you should be looking elsewhere for your powder.

I recommend P for 50 cal and a hot-shot or spitfire nipple.
Because Pryrodex contains chlorates, you can't skimp or be lazy about cleaning.
Not shire what Deer Creek prices are now. Been a while since I was up there, but in the past they were pretty much in line with the market. I was just looking at options to avoid the long round trip drive. Thanks and blessings TDP

Never ever had ANY issues with pyro! Never Ever! And that’s out of a .32cal with lots of woods time. Your friend from the Big Thickets of Deep East Texas said that.🇨🇱
And everybody knows "You don't mess with Texas". My brother caught his bride in Midland 50 years ago. And she still with him. TDP

Pyrodex is like eating snow until you get a head freeze and saying, "Boy, that works just like ice cream!".

Of course, if you have to use it, because the post office doesn't deliver to where you live because the ruts in the road are too deep or whathaveyou, then I totally understand.... ;)

Last edited:
I wouldn't be scared away from using pyrodex if it means the difference between shooting or not shooting because you have no powder. I would rather shoot black because it ignites easier and is traditional but it's hard to get for me too so sometimes I shoot pyrodex to help my stash of black last longer. Been doing that for 25 years and haven't ruined a gun yet. If pyrodex was as bad as some people claim then no one would keep using it and it has been around for a good while.

I am a Gun Powder user, but do shoot American Pioneer Powder (Black MZ) on occasion. Volume for volume it gives good results, is easy to clean and is a different chemistry that the "P" stuff. It does not contain Perchlorates the source of corrosive residue.

With the exception of Black Horn 209, all the black powder substitutes contain potassium perchlorate.

https://alliantpowder.com/downloads/sds/Black_MZ.pdf

Yep, Pyrodex has it's detractors: i ain't one of them. The cheap old CVA gun i bought in 2000 has fired over 3,000 rounds using Pyrodex. The bore looks new. Just clean your gun after firing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back