• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex versesREAL Black powder short test:

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used a 3F booster in a load of Pyrodex and it fired just fine. 10 grains of 3F followed by 50 grains of Pyrodex and at another time 777. 3F in the pan. Yes it works, but not as well as using the real thing.

BTW, I think Pyrodex gets a bad rap, but when I first started shooting BP in my Ruger Old Army in the 1970's I never used anything but the P. No issues. Still have the pistol.

Mark maybe you need to do a tack driver video with blackpowder vs BP sub vs BP sub with black kicker
I can do that when it warms up......
Not with a flint gun though. That would get very frustrating.
I'll get out the old capper gun and try it in a few months.
Too cold right now in Kentucky......LOL

I can do that when it warms up......
Not with a flint gun though. That would get very frustrating.
I'll get out the old capper gun and try it in a few months.
Too cold right now in Kentucky......LOL
Well I had in mind with the flintlock because it would be interesting to see how the duplex load worked in the flintlock. Besides frustration has never stopped the BPMS

I have used a 3F booster in a load of Pyrodex and it fired just fine. 10 grains of 3F followed by 50 grains of Pyrodex and at another time 777. 3F in the pan. Yes it works, but not as well as using the real thing.

BTW, I think Pyrodex gets a bad rap, but when I first started shooting BP in my Ruger Old Army in the 1970's I never used anything but the P. No issues. Still have the pistol.
I had no choice but to use Pyrodex when my usual source of BP dried up.I followed the directions and kept getting up with no problems at all. I was shooting percusion guns only?

From my limited experience, I've had good results with Pyrodex RS in my flintlock. I used 5 grains of black powder as a kicker, ahead of the RS, and BP in the pan. Quick ignition and easy cleanup. You can stretch BP a long way only using 7-8 grains per shot. My $.02.

Latest posts

Back