• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex or Triple 7 in mule ear?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbow

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a percussion mule ear 45 with a 1-66 trust hand made rifle I acquired. Wondering if Pyrodex RS or Triple 7 would be better for ignition and reliability?

There's going to be nothing extraordinary about the mule ear ignition that'll make it any different then any other cap lock.

That said I've been using T7 for at least a decade, it does like a Hot Shot type nipple, beyond that it's very reliable and a good powder. Don't let the higher price scare ya too much, it's a hot, sporting grade powder and you may need less per shot than RS.

I still get the best ignition from Goex or Swiss Black Powder. I have used 777 and Pyrodex and encountered an occasional delayed fire.

Best advice is try thm in your gun and see what does the best!

I'm not a real fan of 777, but since I've only used it in a couple of revolver applications & it didn't do what I expected, I'd go by advice given by rifle shooters who use it and like it. The only downbside is that whenever you get Real BP, you'll have to develop another load for it.

Otherwise, I've used Pyrodex extensively for over 40 years with great results. Nice thing about Pyrodex is that you can use the same measure by volume for both Pyrodex and Real BP and get equivalent results.

It will measur out the same. But actual weights of a charge will be about 20 percent less. Since powder is sold by weight that translates to a savings right there

Now my own experience has been that 777 will ignite a lot better for me than Pyrodex. I literally poured the Pyrodex out as my rifles didn't like I guess. Noticed marked difference in ignition times with Pyrodex being slower for me. I have always used Goex BP FFg and FFFg and that is what I go with. But, I would use 777 if I couldn't obtain Goex or Swiss BP. I am real trigger speed sensitive too and probably notice timing more than most maybe.

necchi said:
There's going to be nothing extraordinary about the mule ear ignition that'll make it any different then any other cap lock.

That said I've been using T7 for at least a decade, it does like a Hot Shot type nipple, beyond that it's very reliable and a good powder. Don't let the higher price scare ya too much, it's a hot, sporting grade powder and you may need less per shot than RS.
Most mule ear guns I have seen the nipple goes right into the bore like an under hammer which should give a more positive ignition without the patent breech.
:photoSmile:

Back