• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mule Ear Lock identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a mule ear lock with a weak spring and it does not hit the cap hard enough to make it fire. I have attached pictures for you to look at and give me some idea who made it or how to solve the problem.

Attachments

• lock immage 3.MOV
    1 MB
  • lock inside 2.jpg
    lock inside 2.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 3
  • lock inside.jpg
    lock inside.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 0
Short term, try a washer under the spring to give the speing a bit more room to work.

Actual fix is to heat, bend, normalize and heat treat.

I have a pair of mule ear locks, one with a weak spring a washer solved the problem but I am worried that it creates a stress point so I will fix it the next time I am running my forge.

I don't know if it is an Italian lock as used by Navy Arms or one made by Dale Storey (DGS). The gunsmith at The Log Cabin Shop in Lodi OH can repair or make a new spring for your lock.

here is the 'Kit' version of your lock, with a brass lock plate. I have searched trying to find out who made these?
I think your mainspring is a replacement? it should have some arch to it and the base <at the screw> should be nearly flat to the plate.
as it is, to my eye, the spring is mostly pivoting ( on the screw) more than 'loading up' tension.

Attachments

• locks001.jpg
    locks001.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 0
  • locks004.jpg
    locks004.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
here is a plan/drawing for the Navy Arms lock..My bud and I got the chance to work on and measure. ( you can see the arch in the spring )

the two locks pictured are the ones I make. The one in front is my take on an outside mainspring. the other in back, is a Medberry style and
shows the arch in the spring.. on the outside spring, it arches down and through the plate to engage the tumbler portion of the hammer.

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Attachments

• Mule ear.jpeg
    Mule ear.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 28021-Muley.jpg
    28021-Muley.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back