• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex in Flintlocks...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since starting in ML match shooting in the early 90s I have heard from many respected ML match shooters not to bother with Pyrodex. Lots of extra work to clean. Poor, slow or no ignition. Poor accuracy. During these days of the China-virus panic my range has been a bastion of sanity and allowed me testing while my National matches were shut down. This test I share with you involves Flintlock and Caplock single shots, .44 Rem.1858 revolver and a 41 Musket. The testing took tedious weeks on the Crono that I will save you from by cutting to the bottom line. Accuracy for match use; No issues, works great If you first load 5grs Blackpowder. So yes, If I had a hard time getting BP I would be just as confident in a match using some Pyrodex in front of a little black. Without a pinch of black to ignite the Pyrodex slow fires, pop-booms and misfires happened in all. If just plinking and playing Pyrodex may work OK by itself but If serious use were needed...c

I've always thought that BP substitutes could work if a little regular black was added at the base. No time to test that while working for a living. Now retired I still can't find the range time I've always imagined I was missing while at work. I have traveled to many historic battlefields and national parks. Recently learned the role places like Mammoth Cave played in the effort to make black powder.

Pyrodex in a flinter is best with a 5-10 grain black under the pyrodex.
Since you must clean asap pyrodex can get the job done. I've been using it for near 30 years. The RS produced a ignition hesitation in percussion but few and far between.
Pyrodex P cured that plus works good in revolver too.

Back