• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex in a Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My normal load in my GP .50 cal flinter is 60 grains of 3F for 50 yard target shooting. I got a good deal on a case of Pyro P some time ago and worked up a load that gives me the same ballistics. I throw 10 grains of 3F and 40 grains of Pyro and my loads print to the same POI as 60 grains of 3F.

This should get me through the dry period until BP production gets back up. (hoping someone buys the GOEX plant)

Thank you for a reply that is trying to help with there being no other option right now if I want to shoot.

There's always the former percussion shooter who thinks it's OK to use Pyrodex in a flintlock. Go ahead and use it. But don't piss and moan when you have shitty results.

Thanks for the snotty comment. I guess I will just give up on shooting until I can find some 2f black powder to buy. Unless you can find some for me.

If that’s all you have, make it work. No criticism here. I have on occasion used 10 grains of “3f” and then my pyrodex charge, 3f in pan. Goes off just as fast as real stuff. Nice thing is no swabbing between shots.

Thank you. As you noted, and some here seem to miss, I can not even find it to order. If I could I would.

This was not an “I want to do this post” this was an “I have no choice can someone help post”.

Thank you for trying to help and no criticism.

Thank you. As you noted, and some here seem to miss, I can not even find it to order. If I could I would.

This was not an “I want to do this post” this was an “I have no choice can someone help post”.

Thank you for trying to help and no criticism.
Antiques Travelers & Trading in TX has plenty of Schuetzen powder in stock.
Better powder than GoeX anyway. Toby ships the same day.

(806) 470-4130

I will ad my 2 cents, I use 45 grs BP then 45 grs Pyrodex for my 2 flintlock 58's and a 54 Hawken. Never had a misfire, obviously real BP in the pan. Get consistent accuracy and clean up is not a problem.

I have ample BP in various grades, also lots of Pyro found on sale. Probably more than I should have according to the Fire Dept. I can last 3-4 years at my current shooting rate. I can also afford to order real BP if necessary.
Figure I am stretching my supply through the dry spell without panic, plus I am a cheap sob. :dunno:

Don

any videos of shooting T-7 in a flintlock? there are ones of shooting PYRO. in them, with massive hang fires.

I recently tried to buy bp in Des Moines Iowa but was told in every store that the fire department had banned bp due to the hazard. I could buy substitutes in every store tho. I checked it out and that is the situation. So, be prepared guys, the days of commercially available bp is coming to an end. I don't have a problem shooting substitutes, but I am going to try to make my own bp from instructions on youtube, in very small quantities. I found out that the 3 materials in the recipe are very readily available at a very low cost, including willow charcoal. So that may be our future.

Thanks for the snotty comment. I guess I will just give up on shooting until I can find some 2f black powder to buy. Unless you can find some for me.
Yes it is snotty. It was meant to be. Reason being, this subject has been covered here and elsewhere a hundred times. You'd think people will have learned by now. I guess I was wrong.

If you can't find black powder, then I guess that's your problem. However we are all in that boat these days.

Anyone who truly is passionate about flintlocks know better than to use substitute powder in them. No different than some inline shooter claiming to be a muzzle loader. Or a guy who plays with RC airplanes calls himself a pilot.

Yes it is snotty. It was meant to be. Reason being, this subject has been covered here and elsewhere a hundred times. You'd think people will have learned by now. I guess I was wrong.

If you can't find black powder, then I guess that's your problem. However we are all in that boat these days.

Anyone who truly is passionate about flintlocks know better than to use substitute powder in them. No different than some inline shooter claiming to be a muzzle loader. Or a guy who plays with RC airplanes calls himself a pilot.

At least there are a few helpful people on this sight. You are not one of them.

There's always the former percussion shooter who thinks it's OK to use Pyrodex in a flintlock. Go ahead and use it. But don't piss and moan when you have shitty results.
Sidney, I don't think your answer was appropriate. James stated that he had just gotten his first flintlock and wanted some advice. He didn't state he was a previous percussion shooter. Maybe he got it as a Christmas gift. That's not our business either. I've been on this forum for many years and I've seen a lot of repeat questions. I've been a history re-enactor for 20 years and shot my share of percussion and flint. I finally gave up flint because I also had a few people answer me in a manner similar to what you said. I no longer wanted to be a part of that fraternity. Your comments give a bad light to every other flint shooter on this forum. James came here asking a question, he's a member as are you and I, and he deserves constructive answers. That's what we're all here for. I think James deserves an apology (which I doubt he'll get) and since you imply that you know so much about flint I think you should also offer your knowledge and expertise - in a cordial way.

Sidney, I don't think your answer was appropriate. James stated that he had just gotten his first flintlock and wanted some advice. He didn't state he was a previous percussion shooter. Maybe he got it as a Christmas gift. That's not our business either. I've been on this forum for many years and I've seen a lot of repeat questions. I've been a history re-enactor for 20 years and shot my share of percussion and flint. I finally gave up flint because I also had a few people answer me in a manner similar to what you said. I no longer wanted to be a part of that fraternity. Your comments give a bad light to every other flint shooter on this forum. James came here asking a question, he's a member as are you and I, and he deserves constructive answers. That's what we're all here for. I think James deserves an apology (which I doubt he'll get) and since you imply that you know so much about flint I think you should also offer your knowledge and expertise - in a cordial way.

Thank you for your support. And you were right about the gun being a present. My wife bought it for me as a retirement present the first of December. I do shoot a percussion Lyman Plains Rifle. I shoot both Pyrodex and black powder out of it. That is why I had some 3F on hand.

Unfortunately actually black powder is hard to find right now. So I was just trying to make what I had work so I could shoot the gun.

The plus side is I was able to order some black powder because I started this thread and there were people willing to help me.

Antiques Travelers & Trading in TX has plenty of Schuetzen powder in stock.
Better powder than GoeX anyway. Toby ships the same day.

(806) 470-4130

Thank you so much for the help. I just ordered 3 cans of Swiss 2f and a can of 4F. I really appreciate you being willing to help out someone you don’t know.

They were very friendly.

Thank you for your support. And you were right about the gun being a present. My wife bought it for me as a retirement present the first of December. I do shoot a percussion Lyman Plains Rifle. I shoot both Pyrodex and black powder out of it. That is why I had some 3F on hand.

Unfortunately actually black powder is hard to find right now. So I was just trying to make what I had work so I could shoot the gun.

The plus side is I was able to order some black powder because I started this thread and there were people willing to help me.
Glad to stick up for a fellow muzzleloader.

You're right, I will not offer this man an apology, nor anyone else. Seeking advice is one thing, asking about the same subject that's been covered a thousand times, and is well known is something different.

I don't profess to know everything. However, what I do know, I learned on my own. I had noone to teach me when I started shooting muzzleloaders. I picked up as many books and articles as I could and read them until they were ingrained. I had no internet to get information from. But you know what, even without it, I still learned not to use Pyrodex in a flintlock. Why, because it has been widely written about for decades, and I researched ahead of time. Not my fault if someone would rather just ignore information that's been widely known.

It's obvious to me this man couldn't get hold of enough real black powder, and or didn't take the time to research the subject before attempting to use pyrodex in a flintlock. He could've saved himself from bad experimentation and negative results by simply researching ahead of time.. A simple Google search of " can I use Pyrodex in a flintlock" would've given him his answer right away.

It just gets old reading the same questions year in and year out when you'd think it wouldve sunk in by now. We're not dealing with kids in this hobby for the most part. These are grown adults who should know better. But, this is the reason why we have warning labels on everything, because people don't read, and even less learn.

I'm not concerned with someone getting offended if they don't like my answer. Research before blind experimentation. There is far too much information within easy reach to do otherwise.

Last edited:
Back