• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex dilemma

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesZ

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Shooting again after a long layoff I'm just about finishing off my ffg and fffg powder. Sitting on the shelf are half canisters of 2f and 3f pyrodex. I only shoot percussion. Should I shoot off the pyrodex or get rid of it and order some more blackpowder?
Charles

Charles, you can the old cans of pyrodex but don't expect the results to equal your black powder loads. Pyrodex as it ages becomes less consistent as to ignition and accuracy. Personally I would throw out the pyrodex and get some goex FFg and FFFg to replace what you have used up. If finding real black powder is a problem Triple7 is amuch better powder than pyrodex.................watch yer top knot

Depends...on whether you're a "serious" target shooter, or hunter, or just a plinker! The most important info you gave us was "long time" as far as sitting on the shelf. Test the powder to see if it fires the way it used to in your rifle. Maybe $5.00 worth of magnum caps will help the stuff go off more reliably, if you're just out to make smoke.

Now IF you're a serious shooter, and don't want to waste your time taking even the slightest chance that the old stuff won't go BANG, then don't use it :wink: . That's about the best advice anyone can give you.

Have FUN and be safe! :thumbsup:

Dave

How accessible is black powder in your area? If it's going to be a long wait and lots of trouble, there's a message in that: There are likely to be times when you need or want to shoot, but can't get the black right away. Makes sense to me to really learn how to use the Pyrodex, just in case the time comes when black isn't back.

Sure Pyrodex has it's quirks in a capper, but it can be made to work. Are you going to sit around and complain about Pyrodex, or learn how to make it work for you? Some folks are complainers and some are doers. Take your pick what you want to be.

As for age affects on shooting, it depends a whole lot on your local climate and how it's been stored. We've got about the worst possible climate (120 inches of rain a year and wildly fluctuating temps), but stored at stable temps in a sealed container, Pyrodex is starting to look like it holds up about as well as black powder, from a practical standpoint. I got a bunch from a friend's estate (can't beat FREE, even if it's not black), and it very likely dates from the first year or two of production. And it still goes bang just fine.

Like I said, dump the Pyrodex and feel pure, or use it and be smart. No one is going to know the difference if you don't tell them.

If the cans of pyro are sealed, they will probably be ok, but if they have been opened, the powder may not be any good. Most of the subs, pyro included, degrade rather quickly after they have been opened.

If you just want to burn some powder, go for it, but don't expect the power or accuracy of new, unopened powder.

However, I would not use it for hunting or for serious shooting.

I would also experiment with some pyro before you run out of black. If the pyro doesn't wanna go off, you may be able to trickle enough black into the flash channel to ignite, or at least blow out any bad, poorly functioning pyro.

You might try a booster charge of 20, or so, gr of black under the pyro to improve ignition until you can get more black...and make sure you clean it well and check the bore after a coupla days. In my experience, residue of pyro is nasty stuff when in contact with steel.

God bless

I would shoot it, if it still goes BANG!
I have some open Pyro several years old, and I shoot it at the range from time to time.I don't see a diff in accuracy, and it has a reliable ignition if I do my part. I do have to clean the nipple often because of the fowling. I prefer BP and as long as I can get it, I'll use it........Especially for hunting.

Get out there and shoot! It won't last long if you do, and replace it with BP, when it's gone :grin:

I have some in cans/plastic dated 1988 and works just fine. It just depends on how you store it. And who you listen to. Mine has been opened and I use it occasionally for live firing. I use strickly BP when I fire blanks for civil war reenacting. Without it being compressed all you get is a fizzle when there is no ball on top. :grin: I believe it has something to do with the granule shape is what we come up with.
If you look at BP it's shape is random. Puro, and trip7 each granule is more round. when you dump them down a barrel and just thump the stock on the ground the BP will kinda level off and stay that way the kinda bunch together while Pyro will level off but when you bring the gun to bear it slides down like an avalance and goes shhooot, or fissselzzzz, more of a sow burn than a bang.

Try an over-powder or over-shot card or wad to keep the powder compressed, and it might just go BANG better :wink:

Dave

I've also got pyrodex thats been open for years, as I tried some of that manure trip 7 for awhile. The pyrodex works just fine if its been stored right and you make sure your channel is good and clear. I havent heard anybody mention that triple seven loads should be reduced by 15 percent to create an equal BP or pyrodex pressune, this is from the people that make it, also it tends to leave a real bad crud ring in your bore where the bullet was seated, I personally hate the stuff!!

I've had the pyro along with the bp for 20 yrs. The bp, which I've just finished, worked fine. Both powders were stored together in their original containers. I figure the pyro should work.I want to avoid ramming a minie down the barrel only to have nothing happen. I shoot strictly .58 minies and patched roundballs. Any suggestions on what I could ram down on top of the pyro that I won't have to take out the old ball puller or, more likely, end up at a smith?

Why not try a card wad like smokin 50 said to keep it compressed? Try that a couple of times if it goes boom you should be alright, thats just my 2 cents worth, as I think if its been stored dry and not too hot it should be okay! Good luck

I found 3/4 can of Pyrodex in my toybox that is over 15 years old.
When nobody was looking I loaded it into a '49 Colt and a .58 Remington.
Worked fine and smoked more than I remembered.

I feel dirty and have sinned, but I think I'll go ahead and shoot it up.

I'm just frugal enough (read CHEAP) that I would certainly give the Pyrodex at least a good try. I shoot Black Powder exclusively, but know some find it hard to get. Try the Pyro with a couple of tight fitting wads down on it and see if it goes bang. If so, then try a RB or minie in it. If all goes well, then try some targets to see how it groups. I just hate to throw anything that might have a useful purpose. Good luck!

I agree with the try the pyro and if it still works ok then shoot it for fun at the range. IF you have issue with finding black locally thenI suggest ordering it in 5 lb lots from powder inc, unless of course you can buddy up and make it a 25 lb order. I find that 5lb orders are about the same as what I can get it for locally, the 25 lb order is $5+ cheaper.
http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm

I got lucky and found 4lbs of black for $40.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some open Pyrodex from the first year it came out.It still goes off like it did how ever many years ago when it was new. I use 3f and like it a lot better. If its important I use black powder if its flint black powder. Bought two new jars of Pyrodex and 250 Hornaday rnd balls for 20.00 at a flea market lately. Now will have to gather up some paper bags to hide my face to shoot it. Larry Wv

I'm gonna go ahead and try and shoot it. This has nothing to do with pyro vs bp or being a purist or even the availability of bp. Like some of you have said and I second--I just hate throwin' good stuff out. The opinions here are great. Thanks.

CharlesZ said:
This has nothing to do with pyro vs bp or being a purist or even the availability of bp.,,,, I just hate throwin' good stuff out.

For goodness sakes don't do that! The stuff makes great lawn fertilizer :haha:

for ky choctaw,I like T7,,and yes you need to drop the charge, and yes it does leave a harmless crud ring, that can be clean out.
But it sure does shoot good
:blah:

And it sure does cost at least 60 percent more than the real stuff or pyrodex! I like savin money.But maybe thats just me!!

60% sounds awful high, but remember, you use 15% less powder by volume, and T7 is less dense than BP, so a pound by weight takes up more room, giving you more shots per pound.
Is there some reason that the Pyrodex has to be used right now? Can it just sit on the shelf for now? I have powders on the shelf that I haven't touched in years. I've never considered throwing it out. :surrender:

Back