• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Puckle Style Brass Cannon , 1'' Bore,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finished after 4 years of on and off work. Covit stay home and lay off have afforded me the time to donate to this project I started so long ago. Puckle Mount style 1/4 Scale, with a 1'' bore, 21'' barrel length, 24'' tall, all mountings of solid brass . CNC Engraved range lead sight on disk face, with ful-de-lac pointer on swivel . Chained Bore and tough hole covers, with a detachable ear hinges for easy barrel removal. As this is heavy. Elevation slide spoon and Mounted on a 2'' brass stem, with a 8'' dia. ships bell , with a base of a wood piano seat. I have considered shooting this, but looks really good on my bar for now. Cheers.
20210831_125557.jpg
20210831_125706.jpg

Attachments

• 20210831_125533(0).jpg
    20210831_125533(0).jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20210826_153642(0).jpg
    20210826_153642(0).jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210831_125803.jpg
    20210831_125803.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 75
Extraordinary work! I had to stuff my eyeballs back in the sockets.

As this is essentially a shooting forum, I'm probably not the only one wondering how she shoots...

Notchy Bob

Thank you all for the very kind words, I do wish to fire it, and looking for some 1'' dia. marbles for shot, I will have to hold it down, as sitting on the piano seat will easily topple over. I was thinking of a apron board laid over the piano seat and staked to the ground. I have access to a field that could work for a range. Any Idea how much 1F to start with ? Enclose is a picture of the first one I made. This was for my boss at work. It is a lot simpler, but gained vision for making mine, on what I would like different
TE42rbtSsf4A7VXE7XZp8A.jpeg

Really great job, looks like a one of a kind. Agree that shooting would need special support to prevent topple. Since the barrel detaches so easily why not make a special carriage for shooting in the field and save this mount for display. 50gr of black powder should give a nice bang.

Really Rich44 that is a great Idea. Problem is the piece I made the sling shot to hold the barrel was a 1'' x 4'' x 16'' solid billet when started, cost of 450$ to replace that blank today , I then had 12 hours in a wire burn machine to cut initial 2D shape, with the two clamping ears . Over 30 hours of hand work to relief cut in a Bridgeport mill ( no CNC help ) , fit the barrel and machine the ears for a hinge fit and hand radius to remove sharp corners.
20210607_163512.jpg
I had to build a small U-Shaping die to form into the tuning fork in a 30 ton hydraulic press. It would be easier just to carry in two parts. When the barrel is dethatched ( easy hinges, not bolted down like earlier piece ) Its not bad to move. I was thinking along the lines of a brass plate with couple eyelets , just off the wood base, and then stake on a holding angle down into the ground on the front side to hold in place for toppling over. What do you think ? Cheers,

Sometimes as toolmakers we are guilty and by our own design will make a product that is just too nice to use. In reality it might be made to justify our skills to our self as a worthy difficult project. Or to show in life I was a good/great mechanic.

Have every reason to believe you have the skill level to stake it down and fire a shot. We know it will fire as it has a bore and torch hole, so there is nothing to prove. Your workman ship is outstanding and the beautiful cannon is still brand new. Once fired the brand new is removed.

If you do go ahead with testing then please post pictures. Even still thanks for sharing this work of art, I am impressed.

Absolutely magnificent. I have a machinist acquaintance who builds functioning small steam locomotives. You accomplishment certainly rivals his. A steam locomotive may be beautiful, but it is not art. That gun, however.........

Thank you all, It is nice to have others that can see the art into it as well as the function. So let me ask you for a perspective thought. If you look on the bottom just on top of the bell, you will see a wedding band. That is actually a set screwed slide for setting the distance range. My original thoughts were to notch elevation marks on that 2'' stem , so you could adjust to a degree of accuracy up and down. But will this with its hack marks and numbers take away from the beauty and make it look like a car jack ? It looks so clean and not busy now. I think some times you can over do it. What do you think ??? Cheers .

Thank you all, It is nice to have others that can see the art into it as well as the function. So let me ask you for a perspective thought. If you look on the bottom just on top of the bell, you will see a wedding band. That is actually a set screwed slide for setting the distance range. My original thoughts were to notch elevation marks on that 2'' stem , so you could adjust to a degree of accuracy up and down. But will this with its hack marks and numbers take away from the beauty and make it look like a car jack ? It looks so clean and not busy now. I think some times you can over do it. What do you think ??? Cheers .
I think that smacks of screwing around with perfection.
With enough firing practice, you won't need those indicators. Avoid fixing things unbroken.

I have a 4 bore rifle. That is a 1 inch bore also. I use a 450 grain powder charge. You can get a mold to cast any size ball you want from here. (no title)

Back