• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Proper way to load my smooth bore pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badgreek

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an original French .60 cal smooth bore percussion pistol.It was my Grandfather's who handed it down to my dad. He use to use it to hunt birds and small game when he was a kid growing up in Greece.He brought the pistol with him when he moved to America in 1951. the pistol has not been fired since that time.The pistol is in good condition , other then some rust and pitting in the barrel.I have never shot a smooth bore, and would like to know the proper way to load it. I shoot a .50 cal GPR so i am familiar with black powder. I just dont know if I should use a patch on the ball or just shoot shot out of the pistol like my dad did? :idunno:

i have no idea on the proper procedure, but i would love to see pictures.

Nicholas Earp said:
I have an original French .60 cal smooth bore percussion pistol.It was my Grandfather's who handed it down to my dad. He use to use it to hunt birds and small game when he was a kid growing up in Greece.He brought the pistol with him when he moved to America in 1951. the pistol has not been fired since that time.The pistol is in good condition , other then some rust and pitting in the barrel.I have never shot a smooth bore, and would like to know the proper way to load it. I shoot a .50 cal GPR so i am familiar with black powder. I just dont know if I should use a patch on the ball or just shoot shot out of the pistol like my dad did? :idunno:

Even with a smooth-bore a patch is a good idea as it takes up the windage between the ball and the bore.

Never shot a smooth-bore pistol without one, me.

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

Oh yeah, and look up the page to 'smoothbores' - bunch of information there.

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

Based on some of the powder loads used in the Military pistols I would suggest that you limit the powder load to about 30 grains of 2Fg or Pyrodex RS powder.

The original pistols used 35 grains but after ageing for 150 years the metal in your guns barrel may be a bit weaker than it originally was.

I would not shoot a bare ball in your gun.
After determining exactly what the bore size is I would go to the Dixie Gunworks web site and see if they have some lead balls that are slightly smaller.

I would make up the difference in ball size with the thickness of my patch. The patch by the way needs to be either pure cotton or pure linen. The modern man made fabrics cannot tolerate the heat from the burning powder.

The patches thickness should be enough to require a moderately hard push to get the patched ball down to the powder load.

I to would agree with the others that you use about 20-25 gs of FFG and patch the ball. Just make sure that the bore is good and clean. Then run your powder from a measure (NOT directly from the horn/flask) down then the patched ball, prime if its a flintlock if not then place a cap on the nipple and fire.

Thank you Gentalman for the advise. I always get great help and advise on here. Best site on the internet. I still need to run some steel wool down the barrel to clean up some surface rust, but the rest of the pistol is in good shape.The pistol has been in my family for a long time so i will be using light loads. Don't want to damage it in anyway.Back in the day my dad used the pistol to put food on the table. Small birds,rabbits etc.

Back