• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Proper prep for a new to me used GPR prior to shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perf94

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a number of used percussion rifles that I have recently acquired. What steps should I take to 1.) insure they are not loaded 2.) proper scrubbing and preping for the range 3.) What lock maintenance should be done, if any?

For starters, I'd study how the ramrod is sitting in its holder under the barrel. The tip of the ramrod should be about even with the muzzle. Next take the ramrod and drop it down the barrel. If it's now sticking out way past the muzzle it's a good chance that the gun is loaded. If it looks like it's about the same as when it was in the holder, it should be unloaded.
Shine a light down there too. If there's a ball and patch down there, you should see it.
I would then run some patches down the barrel with a cleaner, I like good old windex myself. Clean and dry the barrel. Next I would remove the nipple. Clean that, then add some breech plug grease to the threads and reinstall.
Load er up and shoot.
Keeping your gun clean is probably the most important part of muzzleloading.

As for the lock, I would take it off the rifle for inspection, light cleaning and lightly oiled and reinstalled.
I take my off probably once a year or so.

You could also remove your nipple and shine a light into that hole as you look into the barrel...no light...it's loaded.

There are ways to remove the charge or whatever is down there but contact us first.

If the bore is rusted, there are guys that can fix that, Bobby Hoyt is one.

Back