• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Procrastination to come to an end?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterbh

40 Cal.
Reaction score
You guys with all these great hints are getting to me. I have decided to start my Lancaster project. It is a 45 cal 13/16" with top grade components. I got the cut out stock from Frontier Carving Shoppe. I won't say I am a bit late to start but it was my friend, William Buchelle who got me interested.

what's wrong with a little procrastination?

wait a bit, i'll get back to you on that...

good luck with your project- go slow and 'sneak up on it' when you get to the tricky bits.

It's been awhile since Buchele left us and I'll always be beholden to him for writing his book..."Recreating The American Longrifle" which was my "guidance" for many years. I wouldn't jump too suddenly into a LR project w/o first contemplating all the aspects {personal attitude and skills, tools, plans and a host of other of requirements} that are needed to complete a LR. There are many "what ifs" that need a lot of thought and time, so don't rush things. Just reading many "how to books" will supposedly make things "crystal clear" but there's always the chance that things might go askew and the books don't have any answers....so go slow. There will be many self imposed "roadblocks" that can't be anticipated, so before starting out, much thought is required to slow things down a might. :yakyak: If all the preceding hindrances were observed, nothing would get built, so ignore them, "jump in" w/ both feet, enjoy a wonderful experience and good luck . One invaluable source though is Mike Brooks' tutorial on gunbuilding available on this forum....Fred

Wow, didn't think someone would tell me to go slow after 33 years getting started. :wink:

When I bend the tang, do I need to heat it?

I'd better read William's book again. He gave me a new one every time I visited him, so I have some spares.

No heat. I make a cardboard template of the top of the wrist w/ about an inch onto the bbl for indexing and use this for a fairly precise form to bend the tang. W/ the bbl attached and used as a lever, the tang is held in the vise and bent. Before bending and as was said, the tang thickness should only be 1/8"-5/32" and the large radius at the juncture of the tang and bolster should be reduced to 1/32" which aids in achieving a more uniform bend.....Fred

Don't feel too bad. I have a .40 barrel and a lovely blank of curly maple. I have had them for 12 years. :snore: I'll get to it one of these winters. :snore: For now, here in Arizona (108 today) it is too hot to go into the garage and touch the metal. :wink: I guess I will have to wait til H--l cools off a bit. :redface:

Meerdean

Back