• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Problems with "Bore Butter"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent yeas testing lubes for accuracy and bore butter was down far on my list. I was given maxi balls lubed with it and they dried out and corroded the lead. Even in all of my modern guns, the lubes have such a huge affect on accuracy it is crazy.
I was also one that had to run the tube under my truck tire in cold weather.

My complaint is neither with the quality of the product, nor its capabilities. I'm just a tight-wadded Dutchman and I see no advantage to Bore Butter/TC 1000 lube over home made patch lubes using animal fat as an ingredient, or a spit patch.

One thing I dislike about Bore Butter/TC 1000 is its tendency to harden in cold weather, and turn to soup in hot weather. I live in N.E. Kansas, and we'll have a couple of weeks of intense cold in the winter. Our summers are long, hot, and pretty humid.
LOL....I used it as a hammer to attach my targets to a piece of wood when I lived in Vermont and was shooting on a clear, cold Winter day where it was 11°, which was warm for that time of year. Spit patching worked and I used the Bore Butter to hammer small nails into my targets to attach to the wood backboards.

After that day I found out how to make Stumpy's Moose Snot and have been using that ever since. It doesn't freeze in even extremely cold winters and it doesn't melt into a liquid in the summer. I believe it's still on a sticky somewhere here on the forum. Normally it's about the consistency of paste shoe polish and I just rub my patch into it until I feel it under my thumb. I never have to wipe when using it and if a ball is a little hard to seat, I just use more Moose Snot the next time and it loads easily again.

A little trick I learnt early on was to snap a cap before loading up for that very reason. I had a round ball rifle I built from a kit (cheap piece of s..t) that was very contrary. Damn thing wouldn’t ignite even on a dry day sometimes!! Never ever had that happen with my JBMR’s! They do need more attention than a modern rifle for sure.
That is the first thing I have always done with my caplocks since I started shooting. Someone showed me that trick the first time out and it seemed like a good idea so it stuck.

In fact, I snapped 2 caps on the guns that had problems and had misfires/hangfires with them. After a good clean out, they shot just fine. I use a gun oil now to protect the bores of all my guns, BP or otherwise.

Ok so I regularly read that somebody on these forums doesn't like "Bore Butter" for some reason or another. What I'm curious about is what is it you don't like . I have used it as a patch lube , conical bullet lube and to wipe the bore down and have had no issues. I don't use it for long term storage but it might work for ths . What's the rub and what are your experiences?
I have used it exclusively for more than forty years. It has worked for me, but probably lots of other stuff will as well. Just your preference. I use it because Thompson Center was a prominent and regional gun maker and produced quality goods.

I have yet to figure out why salt in lube and corrosive caps always comes up and have yet to receive a good answer. Powder in itself is corrosive and basically has salts in it so why does it matter if there is a small amount in lube or corrosive caps? It all has to be cleaned out in the end anyway.
I was thinking some time ago about bacon grease. It has salt in it so never never use it as a patch lube, and I never have. But I use it on my cast iron all the time, and it doesn’t rust.
might not be the best for a long load, but shooting at range, plinking, small game hunting and a clean when done I’m hard pressed to see the problem

I only use the bore butter when the shoot is done and its time to put it away.
T/C Number 13 bore cleaner is what Ive used to patch lube for decades.

Latest posts

Back