• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Problem with Pyrodex pistol pellets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old-fashioned guy. For muzzle-loaders I like genuine black gunpowder, about 75% potassium nitrate, with sulfur nd charcoal, all ground together. Would not put anything else down the bbl. Some years ago I had to buy 25#, a lifetime supply, to get real gunpowder..
JC you are spot on just use real Black Gunpowder. and the problem is solved.
The problem with Pyrodex pellets is ...they are made out of Pyrodex which is rust that burns,
IMHO
Bunk

Soooo...do you guys use Pyrodex or not? ;)

wm

Just between us kids…

Sshh! (I have… I’ve even shot some of the pistol pellets! They worked well, so did loose powder. More powerful than GOEX, less than Swiss. My guns didn’t collapse into a pile of red dust or anything!)

Jeez! I hope nobody heard that! I use Swiss powder for nearly all of my shooting but if circumstances changed and I couldn’t get any I could switch to Pyrodex or T7 and be perfectly happy, except I would miss the sulphur smell something fierce.

Soooo...do you guys use Pyrodex or not? ;)

wm
I use it in my Remington 1858. It was all that was available when I first got it, and it worked great. As far as rust goes, I clean my revolver when I get home from the range, so there's no time for any to form. I also don't dunk my revolver in water, but I still manage to clean the stuff up with some paper towels, a little Damn Good Bore Solvent (probably just detergent of some sort), followed by some olive oil or Frog Lube.

Seriously, I have no issues with it in front of a percussion cap.

Back