• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Problem for Jeremiah Johnson?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally read Crow Killer: The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson a couple of weeks ago. Sure wasn't Rob't Redford. 6'4" or 6'5", 240 Lbs of muscle, thick red beard, toted a revolver, probably served in the Navy in the Mexican fracas and definitely served for the Union in the War Between the States. Supposedly kicked like a mule. He was a truly hardcore boy if even half of the stories about him are true.

The other characters in the movie are a lot different, too. Del Gue, Bear-Claw, Crazy Woman, Hatchet Jack, even his relationship with the Flathead and ultimately the Crow.

I saw the movie when it first came out and thought it was great. Still like it, but it sure ain't Liver-eatin'. Should've read the book a long time ago.

Hi RickyD,
I read Crow Killer a couple years ago.
In the book Hatchet Jack was never found froze to a tree.

:rotf: DAVY you and XXX are going to have o stop before ya kill me! :rotf: :rotf: Anyone want to bring up those iron barrels dont rust the same if treated rightr? I got a org 38 shot last about 40 yrs ago and its got the same rust it always had, not bad enough to shoot, Im really starting to belive that you could "season barrels back then. Fred :hatsoff: Thanks for the :rotf: you 2.

fw said:
:rotf: DAVY you and XXX are going to have o stop before ya kill me! :rotf: :rotf: Anyone want to bring up those iron barrels dont rust the same if treated rightr? I got a org 38 shot last about 40 yrs ago and its got the same rust it always had, not bad enough to shoot, Im really starting to belive that you could "season barrels back then. Fred :hatsoff: Thanks for the :rotf: you 2.

Fred

Season? DO thet mean whut I think it do? Is that with "salt n pepper"? :hmm: :rotf:

Davy

I also read Crow Killer about a month ago. Redford's character sure wasn't like the real Johnson. Another difference between the book and movie, is that Johnson's main mentor wasn't Bear Claw, but a mountain man named John Hatcher. Johnson and Del Gue also covered a lot of territory, not just Colorado...
Scott

"Fred

Season? DO thet mean whut I think it do? Is that with "salt n pepper"?
AND a little bear fat maybe..... :rotf: Fred :hatsoff:

41Aeronca said:
Redford's character sure wasn't like the real Johnson. Another difference between the book and movie,...

No, the movie is NOT a documentary! It's entertainment, loosly BASED on two books. :shake:

Mad Dog said:
The other night I was watching " Jeremiah Johnson" for the upteenth time, and it crossed my mind: After he came upon Hatchet Jack and took his frozen Hawken rifle, was the barrel permanently damaged?
I rather doubt that Hatchet Jack ”” after his fatal run-in with the grizzly bear ”” took the trouble to clean blackpowder fowling from the barrel after he had fired it at the bear.
Then the gun remained in that uncleaned condition for any number of days before Jeremiah came along.
Any thoughts?
A frozen gun ain't a bad deal, some fellers actually pay to have their barrels froze in liquid nitrogen. :shocked2:

Dale Brown said:
41Aeronca said:
Redford's character sure wasn't like the real Johnson. Another difference between the book and movie,...

No, the movie is NOT a documentary! It's entertainment, loosly BASED on two books. :shake:

Goodness! No reason to jump all over me Dale. :nono: I don't think anyone on here has indicated that this movie is a documentary. Yes it is entertainment; I have the movie, both on VHS and DVD and have enjoyed it since I first saw it in the '70s. We're just pointing out some of the flaws in the movie and differences between Redford's character and the real person that the character is based upon. :shake: :)
Scott

41Aeronca said:
Dale Brown said:
41Aeronca said:

Goodness! No reason to jump all over me Dale. :nono: I don't think anyone on here has indicated that this movie is a documentary. Yes it is entertainment; I have the movie, both on VHS and DVD and have enjoyed it since I first saw it in the '70s. We're just pointing out some of the flaws in the movie and differences between Redford's character and the real person that the character is based upon. :shake: :)
Scott

I wasn't jumping on you, specifically. It's just that this is how movies have always been made and people act as if they've never been to the movies before.

BEsides, how much of Johnson's life is really documented? Aren;t most of the details third hand info anyway? Isn;t one of the books the moive is based on a "novel" (i.e., fiction)?

I've only read Crow Killer, not sure what this other book is. The accounts of Johnson's life were mostly from one person who trapped with him in his later years. However Del Gue also contributed and collabarated these accounts as well as a scattering of other historical figures of the times who had written about Johnson. Was the book a exact biography of Johnson's life. Probably not, but I would wager that it is fairly accurate. As to the movie, I must respectively disagree on your comment that this is how movies are always made. Maybe more often than not they are, especially nowadays. But the good movies based on someone's life did not take such liberties. The Spirit of St. Louis, is one that comes to mind. Much as I like Jerimiah Johnson, the true story of Johnson would make a more interesting movie. :)
Scott

41Aeronca said:
Much as I like Jerimiah Johnson, the true story of Johnson would make a more interesting movie. :)
Scott

I kin hear the snivelin' about cannabalism now. :shake:

I always chuckled at Robert Redford's over-reaction about the recoil when he'd shoot "the big .50cal caliber Hawken"
:grin:

Dale Brown said:
41Aeronca said:
Dale Brown said:
41Aeronca said:

Scott

I wasn't jumping on you, specifically. It's just that this is how movies have always been made and people act as if they've never been to the movies before.

BEsides, how much of Johnson's life is really documented? Aren;t most of the details third hand info anyway? Isn;t one of the books the moive is based on a "novel" (i.e., fiction)?

hey brown why do you even bother reading any post you know that all your going to do is disagree or insult someone i have never see a post that you replyed to that you didnt have an attitude about why are you so bitter :cursing:

roundball said:
I always chuckled at Robert Redford's over-reaction about the recoil when he'd shoot "the big .50cal caliber Hawken"
:grin:

I always like the way the game he shoots with it always drops dead in it's tracks.

Mike2005 said:
XXX said:
10: You wonder just how bad those Flathead Cakes are that the Swan keeps making.

Seeing that she was Flathead, they were probably made with a lot of Camas root. Definitly something that takes an aquired taste to swallow. :)

I don't even want to venture a thought about what Camas root tastes like. Have you tried it?

RICKYD said:
And you wonder where he just come up with another horse after his first one froze .....

I can think of a couple more if were going to push the list out to 20.

-You wonder why Hatchet Jack didn't kill the female panther he lived with for 2 years in the Muscleshell.

-You wonder why the female panther didn't kill Hatchet Jack who she lived with for 2 years in the Muscleshell.

Yes I have to laugh at the "massive"recoil of the .50.In my expierence even when shooting 100 plus grains of Pyrodex R,the gun never recoiled very much.And certainly could never be regarded as punishing.Now shooting 25 rounds of 12 gauge trap loads can make my shoulder twinge for a day or so.

XXX said:
I don't even want to venture a thought about what Camas root tastes like. Have you tried it?

Tried some once when I was living in Hamilton MT. Kinda tastes like eating pure corn starch mixed with cattail root with a drop or two of turpentine for flavor. I guess they will keep you alive but I would have to be real hungry to try them again.

Ive always laughed at the recoil shot too :rotf: Just another example of hollywierd and their misconceptions.I shoot a 75 cal(smoothie) with hefty loads and it won't kick that much.....Mark

Back